Thread: Project: Tanya

Fresh Paint

Default Project: Tanya

My third mod was based on "Tanya", the 1997 911 Twin Turbo Porsche from the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds". It has about a 3-4 second scene in the movie but I've always loved the 911 so...

This was a $60 RC car from New Bright in 1/6th scale, repainted in colour shifing automotive paint. The headlights and brake lights were rewired and ran on a switch. An 'under car' neon tube was placed on this mod...it really was a neon license plate holder. Dave Groth helped me with this case a bit as I didn't have a garage of my own to work in.

We removed all the internals and put a 9.5"x9.5" sheet of Aluminum down as to stiffen and support the main chassis and allow support to mount the Shuttle Motherboard tray. Left the dash for looks in this shot but was later removed when the Mobo was installed.

This pic shows what we had after the motherboard tray and HDD mounting bracket was installed.

Please note the aluminum sheet below the HDD bracket which helped support the chassis from bending, sheering, and warping. It was only tall enough to support 1 harddrive though.

An internal view of this computer. Here you can see the Waterblock in use. The internals are lit with a Blue circular cathode tube. Sharp eyes, and those who view the picture at full resolution will see the 'sponser' decals placed along the motherboard tray.

Here is a 'night' shot of Tanya. Notice the LCD..that is an CD/MP3/DVD/AM/FM radio which is built into/with the motherboard.

The case below the car mod was only there to hold the two powersupplies and extra harddrives until a replacement could be built

Twin Turbo? Try twin vent fans running on 'turbo' hehe. The switch to the side is for the internal cathodes.

I know...the base it's sitting on is ugly...but this has been replaced with a low profile custom tinted lexan base that holds the water cooling kit, the 500 Watt power supply, DVD-RW, and extra harddrives (The 500W psu runs all but the main board power...for that I mounted the original itx powersupply inside the car's 'trunk'....ie under the hood.)

Current Internal Specs:
    MSI 651Barebones system
    Intel P4 2.8Ghz
    ATI 9500
    512MB PC3200 RAM
    Wireless 802.11b/g card
    40GB HDDx3
    DVD-RW
    Aquarius II Watercooling unit.

This was a proof-of-concept mod for a later mod that Dave did for a friend of his. I currently just have this one sitting on a shelf collecting dust...though I have just dusted it off this week and decided to set it up for a web-surfing and FOLDING pc.

Link To Original Worklog
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 10-26-2007 at 08:26 PM.