Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Re: Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

I sorta kinda got xfce working. The crazy thing is... I wasn't trying to...

I was playing around on my Ibook in os x and i SSHed in to my PC. Well i read that you could run gui applications through ssh if you had the Xserver on the machine you were logged in from (OS X comes w/ an x11). Anyway. I shutdown the xserver on my pc and turned to my laptop. I typed sudo startx to see what would happen. Unfortunatly It did not do anything cool on my laptop but what it did do is start the xserver on my pc which loaded xfce.

Anyway, at least i now know that xfce still exists and is not busted. Now i just have to log out and see if i can get to xfce from the log in manager or if it only works when i start X from the command line.

Edit: Just used the logout button and Xfce logged out to command line. I can't do anything from here. I had to shut down through ssh. SSH is awesome.

Edit2: Just checkd, xfce does not work from the log in manager. At least I kinda have some more information about it now though.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Got bored, Found another hard drive, installed Xubuntu on it. It's not dual boot though. I just open up the case and switch the cable around when i want/need to load windows. So far it's working but i have this one problem.

When i start up my computer and log in xfce isn't managing my desktop. After i go in to the preferences and start it up I get this message.

To ensure that Xfce does not manage your desktop the next time you start Xfce, please be sure to save your session when logging out. If you are not using the Xfce Session Manager (xfce4-session), you will need to manually edit your ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc file. Details are available in the documentation provided on http://xfce.org/.
    Currently I can't seem to access xfce.org, does anybody have any idea how i might be able to set up xfce so that it DOES manage my desktop when i boot. I found the above directory in Thunar but i don't see the file it mentions. I was thinking if i could find the file maybe i could sift through and see what i can figure out.

Thanks for any help

Edit: Well would you look at that... i let xfce.org sit in another tab while i posted this and it eventually loaded. Ill see what i can find there.
    Edit2: On further inspection their website is extraordinarily slow. I might get somewhere eventually.

In the session dealy on the login screen, choose the Xfce session, and make it your Default session.

Which reminds me, I just downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 and need to install it. I effed up my Fedora install by switching graphics cards before changing drivers, and now X is completely screwed.
    RIP Bucko

Thanks, I never even realized that it wasn't set as my default session. It always just logged in to Xfce so i assumed that was my default session. That seems like a strange issue. Anyway, now it works fine. Thanks again.

Is it not possible to drop the old graphics card back in to your rig to get Fedora working again without going through the trouble of a reinstall? Then do what you need to do w/ the drivers to get the new card working? I guess I'll have to keep little things like that in mind when i start building a new rig, or upgrading the one i have.

Taking a shot in the dark here but i remember some people in the IRC channel talking about this game.

Frozen bubble is great and all, but is there a way to disable the music or make it play something different. I know there is nothing built in to the game but if there is a hidden configuration file somewhere that someone could point me to that would be amazing.

Again, just throwing it out there. The music has been getting to me and i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edit: I was wrong! F11 toggles music and f12 toggles sound effects. Now i can finally play without listening tot he same music over and over.

I happen to quite like the music :p
    Well no i hate it just thought i couldnt turn it off! +rep for the tip
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Thanks! Its not that i don't like the music. It just gets really repetitive after a couple of boards are cleared. It's actually not bad for game music.

I'm bored so i need to give myself something to do. Can anyone recommend any Distributions that i could jump to from Xubuntu?

What I'm looking for:

I want something light weight.
    I don't want to struggle w/ hardware compatibility.
    I don't need a lot of applications. I don't mind installing the few applications i do use regularly.
    I don't mind learning something new from this experience.However...
    I don't want to spend all weekend configuring and installing. I don't have time for that right now.

Is their anything out there that fits this criteria?

Things i wouldn't mind learning.
    *partitioning on my own through command line.
    *installing X (unless its one of those spend all weekend things)

Just puttin this out there. If anyone has any ideas feel free to let me know. Thanks

Well, I've found there's pretty much no middle ground with Linux. There are the distros that tend to do most everything for you (Ubuntu, Fedora) and the distros that don't do much of anything for you (Gentoo, Arch). That being said, go for Gentoo or Arch. If you've got a day, read the documentation, and post here when you have a problem, you should be fine. Gentoo is a command line installer, and Arch is a blue-scree-white-text installer. You'll learn from both of them.

BTW, Arch prides itself on being a light-weight distro.
    RIP Bucko

Ok, I'll look in to both of those as time permits. I actually had the Gentoo handbook printed out once but my ink cartridges died and the last half of it was unreadable. I'll probably look in to arch though if it prides it self on being light-weight. Does arch install X for me or do i get to do it myself?