Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

Default Re: Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

Id say the best thing to do is set yourself a challenage or a task that you would like to know how to do and dont stop till youve found out how to do it!
    If you want to get into the CLI a bit then try doing some of the stuff that you would usually do via a GUI in the CLI.
    There isnt really all that much to it, you will pick up some of the CLI stuff when you need it but dont go and try to learn a book of commands that you'll never use.
    So just remember that there isnt any part of your system that you can't customise and have fun!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Alright I guess i just got to figure out what it is i want to learn. Ill probably try and start with some simple stuff. Moving around though the file system, making directories, opening stuff, Installing stuff.

And to be honest, customization is the main thing i like about Linux. I like the fact that given the time and effort i can pretty much make my system to my liking. Nothing is as bothersome as realizing that you can't change a thing about your system. (I mean interface wise primarily, though it is nice knowing i can change and modify other things as well.)

Thanks guys
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Go to Xfce-Look.org. Customization like no tomorrow.

For starting Linux, the best thing to do is don't worry about it. You can read up on it (like my Linux in a Nutshell guide) but otherwise, it's fine just using it like a normal computer. When you do encounter a problem (not if, when) you can PM me here, post on my site, or PM on my site, or use the Ubuntu Forums. For now, just do what you do, and work on making it look how you want before making anything else.
    RIP Bucko

luciusad: just came accross this which may be of interest to you: http://linuxbasics.org/
    They are staring a course entitled 'An Introduction to Linux Basics' on the forums and there is also a library of tutorials and links on the site.
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Can anyone tell me how to install xfce themes? Ive been trying to find it on the ubuntu forums but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to install xfce themes? Ive been trying to find it on the ubuntu forums but to no avail.
    Try extracting them to either ~/.themes or /usr/share/themes and then check out the Theme Manager. Otherwise, I think you can install them with the Theme Manager in their zipped format (.tar.gz).
    RIP Bucko

It is telling me that i don't have permission to extract files to /usr/share/themes

I tried during the week to look for an option that would let me install themes within the theme manager but failed to find one. I couldn't find the other directory you listed to possibly extract my theme files to.

Maybe i am extracting them the wrong way. I used

rightclick > extract to
    then when the window popped up i punched the proper directory in to the 'Extract to' field.

you need to be doing it as root
    Edit: is there no add/install theme button in the theme manager? (never touched xfce, only gnome)

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    you need to be doing it as root
    Edit: is there no add/install theme button in the theme manager? (never touched xfce, only gnome)
    I haven't found an add/install theme button, ive looked a couple times now. I remember using one in Ubuntu (gnome?) so i thought I might be able to find one but it doesn't seem to exist.

If I have to do this as root does that mean i have to do it through the terminal?

Yep, as calumc said, you need to be root. Run the command "sudo tar xvzf *packagename*.tar.gz", then "mv /path/to/created/folder /usr/share/themes".

Edit: Or, do "sudo su" before the first command. Then, you'll be root then entire time.
    RIP Bucko