Thread: Commodore 64!

ATX Mental Case

Default Commodore 64!

I'm getting a few old commodore's from a very good friend, and I want to turn one into a new computer. (One is going to become a Prophet64 machine after I find some SID chips and install SID2SID, I don't know what I'll do with the other.) I'm one of those people that likes retro stuff, and I figured this would be cool to do.

I'm not the first to think of this actually, but someone sent me a link to someone who did do it. (And pretty well I might add.)

Here's some pics of the "Commodore 64 @ 933mhz"

But I want to go a step further, and attempt to make the keyboard functional.
    I recently saw this, and figured I might be able to do that. It looks a little bit over my head, with the perfboard thing, but I might be able to do it when I get better at electronic circuits.

Another thing I'd like to do is find a beige LCD monitor and pull the "badge" off the old-school monitor, disk drive or another 64 and stick it on the LCD case.

Does anyone know what a good 14-15" LCD monitor would be?
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Default Re: Commodore 64!

Quote Originally Posted by Raz1r View Post
    Does anyone know what a good 14-15" LCD monitor would be?
    For resolutions?

14": 1024*768
    15": 1400*1050

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Ya I guess that would be a good resolution for a 15" monitor, but most of the 15"s you will come across will be 1024x768 as well.

Other than that, project seems cool. Would like to see someone do this. Seems cool.

ATX Mental Case

I meant more of brand than resolution.

Probably any brand should do, as long as the logo isn't too annoying like those damn viewsonic screens. Just trying to keep it retro.

Definitely going to leave the DVD drive off this one, and get a 1541 disk drive and mod a DVD into that. Then I could use a full-size Hard drive.

Update: I'm getting 4 C64's in the mail very soon. I will add pics when I do get them in. Also, been looking for a broken 1541 drive, but no luck so far on eBay.

I got an idea to do a slot-loading DVD drive in a 1541, but I don't know what a good cheap solution for a slot-load DVD drive would be. Does anyone have any experience with slot-loaders?

I think I'm gonna get one of these off eBay:

I got my 64's in the mail!

E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case