Thread: There can only be one...for now

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Default There can only be one...for now

So my new computer is estimated to arrive on Friday Specs here
    I decided that as much as I want to game on this I did get it for other reasons. So I am allowing myself to purchase one and only one FPS. For now at least. So I want your opinions. Which one? HL, BF? I have been considering HL Orange. Im not going to get crysis. It wont run it. But maybe I have over looked something else. Maybe something better. So I want your opinion. Help me out. I only have 3 days to decide...then you wont hear from me for a while. Promise.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: There can only be one...for now

Dude, I have an 8500GT and with a new processor I could run Crysis on high... right now it's on medium. You can play it on there. Try out the demo and see how it runs. Heh heh. If by the odd chance it doesn't work, I'd get the Orange Box.

like ryoken said it will work for sure on that laptop. i would buy the orange box and get the demo for crysis. even if for some weird reason it doesn't run at least your tried. you can always uninstall/delete it after.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Really?! I was looking at the specs and I didnt think my gfx card had enough memory. I only have 256 and crysis needs 512 I thought. Hmm...I'll definately have to dl the demo.

you scared me for a second (my current card is only 128 but it uses system memory to up it to 512.

here are the specs from crysis

OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
    Processor - 2.8 GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster* (Vista)
    Memory - 1.0 GB RAM (XP) or 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
    Video Card -256 MB**
    Hard Drive - 12GB
    Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible
    * Supported Processors: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista) or faster, Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Vista) or faster, AMD Athlon 2800+ (3200+ for Vista) or faster.

** Supported chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Integrated chipsets are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.

my cpu is a celeron and it runs crysis, though everything is set to low and i'm at a res of 800x600 getting averages 12-16 fps. its playable and it goes down to about 8fps when i shoot the big tank nuke rocket/missile. i've only every had the game crash twice and both times it was on a modded map which added in extra stuff, like aliens.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

YOu only need more memory on the graphics card for higher resolutions. It should run fine at 1024x768 on your lappy. I think that's a reasonable resolution anyways, lol.

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

i would go for css, theres plenty of mods and different types of gameplay. i would NOT buy crysis, playing it on a laptop will just ruin the main factor of the game, which is the high graphics. Being on vista on a laptop will crush your fps and cause you lag like crazy, playing in dx10 on a laptop is hopeless.

css or the orangebox.

I think Orange box is the best deal for the money if you haven't played any of those games.

Half Life 2
    Ep. 1
    Ep.2
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2

You can NOT go wrong there. That will keep you busy for hours. Shoot, first week it was out I played like 20 hours of team fortress 2 lol. Maybe more I don't remember. Awesome game, along with all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by D1337 View Post
    i would NOT buy crysis, playing it on a laptop will just ruin the main factor of the game, which is the high graphics. .
    It's not all graphics dude. It's gameplay.

I have it on medium and love that game. In what other game can you drive a hummer through a building and it collapses instead of the hummer just blowing up? What other game has a fully interactive environment and realistic AI? Hmm? There's more to everything besides graphics. Sorry if this is coming out harsh, I'm just kind of peeved at a lot of things atm.

The gameplay in Crysis is not effected by graphics - cept the Physics.

It's a great game even if you can't play it, for giggles i installed it on a Nvidia 6150 didn't work but then i realized it was only using 64MBs of memory ...