Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frequent Wireless Disconnection

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Frequent Wireless Disconnection

You have one bar. That would be the problem with the speed and disconnection stuff. Enhance the signal and it should work better.

As dumb as this may sound I think you need a wireless adapter with a longer cord. Something like THIS. I position it closer to the router out the window or something if you have to.

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

I forgot to mention that its a laptop so that option wouldn't work. Anyone know of any good quality usb wireless cards that aren't too expensive?
    - Computer-Geek

Get a card for one of those PCIMCIA or whatever the hell it's called slots? The ones that take the long rectangular cards that's usually in the side of the laptop. My bro has one of those and it works alright.

I find that internal wifi cards are better, because the antenna actually is much larger. Most of them go all the way around the screen on the laptop, as opposed to a small antenna inside of the PCMCIA (or cardbus) cards.

Sometimes even moving the router 1 foot in a different direction can have a massive effect on signal strength. If it's right up against a wall, try to move it away a bit. If the antenna is standing straight up, try a bit of an angle to it. Simple things are best.

As for cordless phones interfering, try changing the channel on the phone to see if that helps with the disconnects.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Sometimes even moving the router 1 foot in a different direction can have a massive effect on signal strength. If it's right up against a wall, try to move it away a bit. If the antenna is standing straight up, try a bit of an angle to it. Simple things are best.
    I've tried pretty much everything there, so I'm not sure how much I can improve that.

As for cordless phones interfering, try changing the channel on the phone to see if that helps with the disconnects.
    Unless theres some special process I don't know about, I don't think my phone can change channels. I've tried changing my router channel and I've noticed that 11 is the best, even though it is still terrible.

I'm using the integrated wireless on the ASUS P5W-DH, and the antenna that came with it. I think the problem might be the antenna, but I want to make sure before I go spend $20+ on a nice antenna.

Thanks,
    Indybird

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    I've tried pretty much everything there, so I'm not sure how much I can improve that.
    You could try moving the router to another location in the house, if possible.

Unless theres some special process I don't know about, I don't think my phone can change channels. I've tried changing my router channel and I've noticed that 11 is the best, even though it is still terrible.

If it's a 900mhz phone, no problem. Channel switching is only a concern if its a 2.4ghz phone. Some of these phones now have "auto channel selection" meaning it'll select whatever channel has the least traffic on it.

On your router, is there an option to use "auto channel" ? I found that my laptops at home had trouble reconnecting after starting up if I used that setting and the router switched channels while they were powered down.

I'm using the integrated wireless on the ASUS P5W-DH, and the antenna that came with it. I think the problem might be the antenna, but I want to make sure before I go spend $20+ on a nice antenna.

My bad, I thought you were on a laptop. If you do go with a different antenna, Dlink makes a 7dbi gain omni, but it's quite big, and around $40. The directional ones work really nice (and offer +6 dbi), but again are pricey.

Are you using WPA or WEP security? I've seen WEP cause some issues with disconnects, but I think they were to do with someone trying to crack it.

Thanks,
    Indybird

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Oh also, a spectrum analyzer may be a good idea here.. if people are using the same channels but hiding their SSID's, then you wont necessarily see their wifi, but it will play havoc with yours.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

You could always pick up a cheap wireless card with an antenna on a cord... that's what I have, it works great.

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

I will try that if I can even get to it since its not in "my" part of the house lol.

I am going to try that. Btw I think it was a DHCP issue & I changed the settings to 23 hours.

I have been sleeping for most of the day but I will check If I get disconnected.

Edit: Just did
    - Computer-Geek