Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far off are Flash Based Hard Drives?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default How far off are Flash Based Hard Drives?

How far off are Flash Based Hard Drives? It's pretty obvious that there's a bottleneck in system performance when the hard drive is being utilized. Since the hard drive spins slow by processor terms, it takes several seconds to retrieve data. It seems as the obvious choice to use Flash based NAND tech for HD's. The slow use use platters and actuators will be gone and PC's should see an obvious rise in speed, but how far off is that? I heard that there was a drive in the works that would store your OS boot in flash and make your boot time a couple seconds, but I haven't heard anything else about this in a while. Any one know?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: How far off are Flash Based Hard Drives?

Go to newegg.

And laptops have SSD's too.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Yeah, they already exist, and have for a while.

One of the mobo manufacturer's (ASUS I think) has been touting a flash based storage built into the mobo, just for loading the OS. I will try to find the link, but I is swamped...

But yeah the ssd's have been around for a while and I recently configured a system for a custy with 2 16gb ssd's
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

oh god

a mobo with built in 8gb SSD for OS matters

that would OWN. HARD.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I love whoever invented Solid State Hard Drives, no more moving parts! Yay! Most normal Hard Drives I've used in the past end up breaking sooner than later, mostly due to that I move my PC around a lot and I'm accident prone.

How does the performance of Solid State match up to normal hard drives? Anyone know? Not that I care too much, I'm sure with the available technology of today, it can't be comparable to dial up. At least I hope to bob not, that would be very disappointing if they are selling them so early in their design/testing/performance stage. Especially with the available technology that we have now.

Now if only they were cheaper. Its only a matter of time I suppose, but dangit, I'm an impatient person when it comes to new and desirable technology! lol

Ugh, just look at these prices!

I think your question, TGS, should of been more on the lines of "How far off are we from having practically priced Flash Based Hard Drives?" or something or another.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

SSD's on ATA33 are faster than HDD's on SATA3.0

That should answer your question.

Yay for Asus. I loved my pimped out P5W DH Deluxe.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    SSD's on ATA33 are faster than HDD's on SATA3.0

That should answer your question.
    Awesome! Now if only we can work on that four thousand dollar price range...

With that much money, I could buy the worlds sweetest, non-corporate, raid system with anti-everything and put it all inside a thick black brushed aluminum box that has been especially designed for maximum heat dissipation and that also has a built in spring system for each hard drive, so it will survive even an earthquake.

Then again, technology gets cheaper every other month. So it'll probably be in the lower class enthusiast range by the summer of 2008. Then most likely affordable by people like us by winter of 2008 and then just affordable by 2009. Maybe even sooner if they throw money towards the solid state hard drive development teams.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Is this the same idea as a RAM-bus? I guy I used to chat with built a comp with the latest and greatest hardware, plus added a RAM-bus for the first time in one of his systems. He said the load times were insanely boosted (like 8 seconds from power to windows desktop). He had a big one though, I think it was like 8 or 16 1GB sticks of RAM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri