Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How far off are Flash Based Hard Drives?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: How far off are Flash Based Hard Drives?

The onboard RAM.....Is that around already or only in the form of I-RAM? I didn't know that SSD was Flash based. So there's no platters?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

What I do know is that you can get a PCI board that you install RAM into and use it as flash memory.

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    What I do know is that you can get a PCI board that you install RAM into and use it as flash memory.
    That's what my friend had.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

How much faster can you render the bsod? Ap1thy's Avatar

ive been folowing those ssd's as well, but id rather get a raptor for more than half off an 16 gig ssd

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ASCStinger View Post
    ive been folowing those ssd's as well, but id rather get a raptor for more than half off an 16 gig ssd
    That's what a lot of people would do.

As far as I know, however, SSD's still faster.

and, honestly

I want 8 128gb SSD drives for ONE TERABYTE OF BLAZINGLY FAST STORAGE. =D

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Just a little side note for those truly interested in ssd technology.
    Watch thin clients. They've been using flash drives for years, and the more advanced their little OS gets the more space it requires.
    Such as an XP or Vista embed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    That's what my friend had.
    That's what she said.

Also, the thin clients I've used were totally diskless, just had 512mb ram in them. I've even built a few using p3 mobo's with 512mb ram. Set to PXE boot, and pull the image from the server.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Is awesome

I flipping love the idea of a manufacturer putting flash on their mobo's. It could be totally integrated and have amazing fast OS operation. that would be so so so cool. They could get rid of SATA altogether for the OS, and reserve it for storage drives. Awesome.

And it's going to just get cheaper and cheaper as better technologies come along. Fully solid state will happen soon. Then, with heatspreaders and only using usb drives for CD-like applications, you could have a completely silent system. How awesome is that going to be?
    You love my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    SSD's on ATA33 are faster than HDD's on SATA3.0

That should answer your question.
    Umm, is that true? Now im no expert but, how on earth could a 33MB/s bus even with the SSD drive compare in speed terms to the 3GB/s SATA2 with the fastest plater based drive? You might obviously get a quicker reply from the device but wouldn't it be bottle necked by the bus so much as to cancel any performance gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    I love whoever invented Solid State Hard Drives, no more moving parts! Yay! Most normal Hard Drives I've used in the past end up breaking sooner than later, mostly due to that I move my PC around a lot and I'm accident prone.

I was working with an SSD unit with a total of 8 gb of space in a double wide server rack (7' tall ~48" wide), back in '85 built by Storage Tek. Total cost for an 8gb SSD rack? ~$750,000! Not to mention the power it sucked and the heat it generated. It had a failure almost weekly and never caught on.

How does the performance of Solid State match up to normal hard drives? Anyone know? Not that I care too much, I'm sure with the available technology of today, it can't be comparable to dial up. At least I hope to bob not, that would be very disappointing if they are selling them so early in their design/testing/performance stage. Especially with the available technology that we have now.

Interestingly (or not) enough the performance of the ssd'd are bottlenecked by the controller.

Now if only they were cheaper. Its only a matter of time I suppose, but dangit, I'm an impatient person when it comes to new and desirable technology! lol

Ugh, just look at these prices!

I think your question, TGS, should of been more on the lines of "How far off are we from having practically priced Flash Based Hard Drives?" or something or another.
    As they gain acceptance the cost will drop.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...