Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I love my job. Look what I'm building next!

Default Re: I love my job. Look what I'm building next!

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    So, what is your job?
    I have 2 actually. First and foremost I'm a Sysadmin for a town. Gov't job FTW!

Second, I own/operate a consulting/support business. This project is for my business, and the next big one I'm doing is for that as well.

Most of the other stuff I work on is for my sysadmin job.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

You liking that mobo? My friend works at the maintenance guy for an apartment complex and found that model mobo new in the box, so he gave it to me. I havent done anything more than open the box to see that the cables, drivers, manuals, etc are all still there.

I decided I'd use that board either for a media PC, or a new system for my GF.

Overclocked

i think this may be my next job lol. but only building custom computers. itll let me use my dreamweaver skillz too lol.*prays that he has dreamweaver skillz*
    "Two people can keep a secret only if one is dead." Abraham Lincoln

I've only recently decided to start building custom systems. I had some really bad experiences building/selling computers in the past..

I'm working on an official business plan, including how I would do warranty work and all that, and when my contract is up here in 2 years, I might go full time on my own. We'll see how that goes.. apparently there are 2 other towns interested in my services, so I might end up supporting 3 municipalities!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I'm assembling it right now.. stupid OEM Intel heatsink is hitting the heatsink on the mobo, so I have to bust out the dremel.

I have assembled several systems with that mobo (one last night) and have never had an issue with the HS hitting anything....
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I've only recently decided to start building custom systems. I had some really bad experiences building/selling computers in the past..

I'm working on an official business plan, including how I would do warranty work and all that, and when my contract is up here in 2 years, I might go full time on my own. We'll see how that goes.. apparently there are 2 other towns interested in my services, so I might end up supporting 3 municipalities!
    damn... i wish i had somebody to build computers for. i just think that its the most fun thing in the world. and if i had spare cash id do a buch of calbe mangement too but most cases are closed door so it doesnt matter much.

bleh. pay me 10 bucks to build a computer, thatd be a fine job for me.
    "Two people can keep a secret only if one is dead." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOC View Post
    damn... i wish i had somebody to build computers for. i just think that its the most fun thing in the world. and if i had spare cash id do a buch of calbe mangement too but most cases are closed door so it doesnt matter much.

bleh. pay me 10 bucks to build a computer, thatd be a fine job for me.
    If you lived near my company, I would pay you more than that per hour... Finding someone skilled and dedicated with building systems is hard. Plus our customers _expect_ cable management even if the system never gets opened.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

It makes sense for them to expect cable management. It looks better and provides better air flow along with some proof that the builder took the care and time to make it neat and orderly, which is a possible sign that he/she did a good job. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    I have assembled several systems with that mobo (one last night) and have never had an issue with the HS hitting anything....
    I"ll grab a quick photo of it.. it wasnt anything serious, and a quick bit of work to the heatsink solved it. Just a very slight clearance issue. I could have just left it alone, and been fine, but I didnt want it to touch at all.

The system is assembled for testing and software install, so no cable management yet, but I've got a bag of zipties here, ready to go.

Note to self: go with modular psu's from now on.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

I didn't know I can put a custom title Dilphat's Avatar

I'll benchmark it when its done...
    i can't wait for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    If you lived near my company, I would pay you more than that per hour... Finding someone skilled and dedicated with building systems is hard. Plus our customers _expect_ cable management even if the system never gets opened.
    dang, i wish i lived near you now. haha.
    Do origami to calm yourself when something doesn't make sense or fit! haha, if all else fails get the paper you folded and burn it for no apparent reason.