Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KVM switches

Fresh Paint

Default KVM switches

Hello, I had a quick question. Probably a dumb question, but can you use a KVM switch for only usb keyboard and a usb mouse? The reason I'm asking is because I want seperate monitors for each computer, but I don't have extra room for a second keyboard and mouse. So can you use a KVM without using the monitor plug? If anyone can point me to a KVM switch that would work like this, that would be excellent. Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the noobishness, not real good with hardware.

Default Re: KVM switches

Any USB KVM can do it. About pointing you one, it depend on too much things; like where you live...

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

We run into this at work quite often. The KVM option will work but there may be a better solution that is FREE. Its called Synergy and its an OpenSource product found on Sourceforge. Basically what it does is EXACTLY what you are looking for. It allows a keyboard and mouse hooked up to one machine to control itself and another machine or machines... Most of the users that I have setup with it prefer it over the KVM solution because it switches automatically rather then having to press the button on the KVM or the hotkeys associated.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

The other nice thing about it... Its cross platform, so you can use it with a Mac, Windows and Linux all together.

If you would like to see an review of it, they did a section on Season 2 Ep1 of Hak5.
    The review starts at 2minute 50 seconds.

Good luck and hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Most of the users that I have setup with it prefer it over the KVM solution because it switches automatically rather then having to press the button on the KVM or the hotkeys associated.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

The other nice thing about it... Its cross platform, so you can use it with a Mac, Windows and Linux all together.
    So you're saying that, for exemple; I'm working on my main computer, editing on AVID, then suddenly, the computer switch automatically to the other computer, let say on the FinalCut program? Maybe I don't understand, maybe I drink too much, maybe I'm a bit stupid or maybe I like sex over everything else, or even all these anwsers, but it don't make sense... is it connected to your brain?

Well I guess that would be confusing in a way. This solution isn't for a single monitor, keyboard and mouse... Single monitor being the key word here. If you have 2 or more computers on your desk. Each with a monitor attached. This allows you to use 1 keyboard and mouse to control multiple systems. So that you don't have to move from one keyboard and mouse to the other. When you setup Synergy you designate one as the server (the one with the keyboard and mouse connected) and the others as clients. You specify in the server where the other monitors are physically located relative to the server monitor. Then you do the same with the clients. Then when you move the mouse off of the one screen it will automagically move onto the next screen and viola, you are now in control of that machine, using the servers mouse and keyboard. Basically keyboard control follows the mouse. Also it has a clipboard feature that will allow you to copy the clip board (text only) from one machine to the other. I don't know if I am explaining it that clearly, but it is indeed a killer app for those that use multiple machines at the same time. I posted the video so that hopefully they could explain/demo it better than I could.

EDIT:
    According to the video images are possible to copied via the clipboard feature.

thx for the explanation. Hope I didn't sound rude or jerk, I was just trying to figure out how it would work (and a 50min video was not in my plans tonight) sound interesting, unfortunatly I work with 3 monitors on a couple of systems... Fortunatly, my monitors have 2 inputs each

No worries.. the review starts just under 3 minutes into the video and only lasts about 7 or 8 minutes, so its not necessary to watch the whole video. From what you have explained .. you are a prime candidate for Synergy. When you get some time you should check it out and see if you like it... you can't beat the price and it only takes a few minutes to set it up.

Good luck and hope this helps...

I use Synergy plus an Iogear switch I picked up from NewEgg (link provided below). It does take a little bit of reading and tinkering before you figure everything out, but in the end it's definitely worth it. I run 3 screens off of two computers, and a laptop all hooked up to my Logitech G5 and G15, and with Synergy the laptop and the 2nd computer act as extensions of my first two screens. It's very intuitive after you get everything installed and configured.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817399001
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::