Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Brushed metal

Default Project: Brushed metal

I'm pretty new here. I have been trolling these forums for a while though gathering ideas. I finally have a little money that I can spend on a mod and have drawn up some plans.

I didn't put the cd or dvd drives in because I'm not sure what I want them to look like on the front. Just assume theres a door there for now. The turbine styled fan will be all black and then there will be a plexiglass window.

This is a 19" monitor on the side. It will come out an extra 1-2" and will be mounted with plexiglass surrounding it. I hope to be able to fit it in behind the piece of metal that the motherboard mounts to if that make since. There will also be 2 80mm fans under it because the LCD will put off a little bit of heat. Some of my friends have suggested that if I am going to mount a monitor on the side that I either need to get liquid cooling or mount it on the other side because the heat of the motherboard and LCD monitor will be two much with just those to fans on the side cooling it down. What do you guys think?

The top will have another window of plexiglass with a clear fan mounted to iit. This one is black because it wouldn't let me change the color.

Any suggestion/what do you think?

Default Re: Project: Brushed metal

have you thought of making air ducts for the fans? dirrect the air up through thearea of the lcd and have holes at the top for the air to evacuate
    Ferrari.. True Momentum

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

This sounds interesting. I'm not telling you not to put in the lcd monitor but why? Instead of having one fan at the top how about 2 120mm fans? Unless they won't fit.
    - Computer-Geek

Looks very nice. The only real problem I see is the monitor. My full tower Tt Shark is BARELY 19" deep, so you'll need a monster case if you're putting a 19"er on there. Other then that, it looks good.
    RIP Bucko

Thanks for the input everyone.

I don't think that I'll need air ducks because the monitor will be mounted in between the piece of metal that the mobo mounts to and the outer shell. I may put some ventilating vents at the top like you said though. I might also add another fan to the top to pull out some of the hot air. And Maleficus it will be a very large case...at least 22" deep. I think I decided to go with only a 15" monitor in the side as well. It will be a little easier to install because its length and depth are both smaller.

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Welcome to TBCS. I personally have thought about doing this, but I dont have the guts to take apart a monitor. Good luck. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

I can't wait till you start a worklog A 15" monitor might be easier to fit. What about some etching on the window?
    - Computer-Geek

hey thats a cool idea with the LCD
    CPU: Pentium IV 2.67 G
    Board: GIGA GA-8PE800PRO
    Memory: KINGSTON 256MB 266Mhz DDR x2
    Video Card: ASUS GF2 MX400 64MB
    HDD: SEAGATE 80GB BARRACUDA 7200.7
    Case: ENLIGHT P4 MIDI TOWER CASE
    Power Supply: *NEW* CORSAIR HX-520W!!
    Cooling: AIR
    Operating System: MS XP

I might do some etching that is if I can get the LCD on the motherboard side and have the other side open to possibilities. I would like to some etching and have thought about it but I'm not sure what I want. I might just do some random design. I know that I don't want anything crazy because I want the whole design to be minimalistic. We'll see and thanks for the suggestion.

I'm am a little nervous to take apart a monitor as well. I have see several tutorials on it though and hopefully I won't screw anything up. It would suck to take it apart, finish all the mounting I would have to do and then it not work. I think the rewards will out way the risk though. It will be really nice for LAN parties and stuff.

Right now I'm just trying to find a good case for under $50 or maybe free. It doesn't have to look pretty because I will be sanding it down and painting it. It just has to be big (20" deep, 8" wide" 20" high) and I would like if possible for it to be wider than 8". I just bought a dremel and will be buying a 22" monitor so I can switch it with the 15" one that I will be using. If you guys have any suggestions for a case let me know.

Thanks.

Check out newegg.com they have some nice cases even their cheap ones look nice.
    - Computer-Geek