Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Firewalls and Virus Protection

Default Re: Good Firewalls and Virus Protection

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    Wasnt there only about 10 viruses discovered for linux in the last year compared to about 10,000 for windows?
    "There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."

Programmers that write those things are looking for the most damage as easily as possible. Since most personal computers in the world are running windows, it makes for a big target. If most people used linux, I'm sure there would be more viruses for us too.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Wow, those are some eye-opening stats.

I decided to download the trial version of Kaspersky's Internet Security to scan my system and see if AVG was overlooking anything. It found 3 Trojan viruses and 1 rootkey (or whatever) viruses. I may purchase this if it continues to work so well, but it does seem to swallow alot of system resources so it would likely be disabled when I'm not scanning. We'll see, I have 30 days to decide.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Try BitDefender also. Very, very good. It found a keylogger on my system that Avast and AVG couldn't find.
    RIP Bucko

Anyone used the Zone Alarm deluxe edition with virus and spyware scans?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

You need to remember that AdAware is not AntiVirus and AVG is not AdAware/Apyware, so they will find different things, chances are Kaspersky is pretty much an allrounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    You need to remember that AdAware is not AntiVirus and AVG is not AdAware/Apyware, so they will find different things, chances are Kaspersky is pretty much an allrounder.
    I'm aware of that, which is why I use both.

I have been using Avast anti virus last two years, Its very nicely working on my laptop. Before I used AVG, But I was very disappoint to that work. When I was formating my laptop so it was done completely but it was lost with my system file.

gonna have to back microsoft's security essensials... badass program... nabbed a virus without scanning before malware bytes gotten that far... and its free
    Not dead yet

Makes me glad to be running ubuntu. Even though I might install a virtual windows computer for SolidWorks and the adobe suite.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal