Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test your vocabulary and end world hunger

Default Test your vocabulary and end world hunger

http://www.freerice.com

You try to choose the right definition for the words. For each one you get correct, 10 grains of rice are donated via the UN in an effort to help end world hunger. And you can also improve your vocabulaay while doing so. So this is good, promoting education and feeding the hungry. They're able to do this because of their sponsors on the bottom of the page each time you're doing it. So far I've done 400 grains, but that's not enough for me to be satisfied with yet.

Default Re: Test your vocabulary and end world hunger

oh ya well i did 500! haha interesting, i wonder how they make sure they send the right amount of grain? i wonder how many grains it takes to feed a person in one sitting, day, week, month, year, etc. i wonder how many grains of rice in a bag? how many bags go where and how many. i wonder if its plain rice or wild, flavored or plain.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

I hit 50 on the vocab level. The rice is most likely white or wild. They probably just average how many grains of rice are in a bag by weight.

I was CONSIDERING making a macro (bot) to just continually click the first answer, so it would build up even with a low vocab score..

But after reading through it and doing a whois, there is no guarantee that the money earned by the ad impressions or click is going to feeding the hungry. If the website was registered in trusted organization name i would think otherwise.

Greco101

My gf's a human dictionary...

I know this is a good cause and all, but it's a bit distrurbing in a way. If they have the rice, they should just give it to the hungry rather than sit on it and see if we can define vocabulary terms before feeding starving people. I don't know, maybe I'm just over-suspicious, their "about" section isn't very detailed.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    I know this is a good cause and all, but it's a bit distrurbing in a way. If they have the rice, they should just give it to the hungry rather than sit on it and see if we can define vocabulary terms before feeding starving people. I don't know, maybe I'm just over-suspicious, their "about" section isn't very detailed.
    thats exactly what i was thinking!

Maybe all of this is going towards Bush's next chinese food dinner? =)

Greco101

Maybe they are being paid a small amount by their sponsors for the amount of time you're on their site? I mean... there are links to MAC, Office Depot and Readers Digest. They all seem like businesses that would participate for the cause.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Jon's got a good point.

'Course, whether they're actually donating rice or not doesn't really matter to me, I'ts fun nto test my vocab so =/

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Maybe they are being paid a small amount by their sponsors for the amount of time you're on their site?
    This is actually what I suspect as a good possiblity, just a gimmick for generating traffic. I just didn't want to admit to be perfectly honest because I hope that's not the case.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by Greco101 View Post

My gf's a human dictionary...
    No she isn't she has just been playing it for several weeks. Although that vocab level is like 10 higher than mine, although i did just randomly click half of them.