Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Portal (Game)

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Question about Portal (Game)

Just a quick question, wasn't sure where to post this though, we have so many categories! :p

Anyways, does the game Portal absolutely require a graphics card to run? or is on-board graphics okay?

Thanks for the info ^_^
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Question about Portal (Game)

should be in the second last part, the video games section

here are the specs from wiki
    System requirements Minimum:
    1.7 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, DirectX 8 compatible video card, Windows 2000/XP/Vista
    Recommended:
    Pentium 4 processor (3.0 GHz or better), 1 GB RAM, DirectX 9 compatible video card, Windows 2000/XP/Vista[2]
    with that said i would say yes for most new boards.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Bummer. I just got it, but it won't start up. Well at least it didn't cost me anything. I'm sure not going to go buy a PCI graphics card. Man those things are expensive.

I would of thought I could turn down the graphics to as low as possible though, guess not. Maybe my PC is too old, its only like ten years old... lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Yeah it is just the source engine so same specs as HL2 and Source. So you will need a reasonable card a 8400 at a stretch would run it.
    Need a sig

My old laptop ran HL2 fine at reasonable settings.

1.6Ghz core duo
    1gb ram
    nvidia 7400 GO

So any relatively reasonable gpu should be ok as that rig only got like 1200 on 3dmark06

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    My old laptop ran HL2 fine at reasonable settings.

1.6Ghz core duo
    1gb ram
    nvidia 7400 GO

So any relatively reasonable gpu should be ok as that rig only got like 1200 on 3dmark06
    Thats old? I'd die to have that! lol

This is what I'm running now.

2.2Ghz Pentium 4 / Socket 478
    512MB DDR
    On-Board Graphics

Good old HP Pavilion 515n. Its only like around ten years old... lol

It does play San Andreas decently though.

Dude, uprage, i literally finished wathcing the ending credits 30 seconds ago. Great game but i little on the easy side, even for me. UPRAGE so you can get this game

Quote Originally Posted by noopypoop View Post
    Dude, upgrade. I literally finished watching the ending credits 30 seconds ago. Great game but a little on the easy side, even for me. UPGRADE so you can get this game
    Ah, but I would if I could. Nobody in their right mind, at least on this website, would settle for what I have if they could do something about it. Unfortunately, I can't at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future though.

I'm going to give it to my buddy, who has a pretty maxed out laptop. Maybe he'll let me play for awhile, since you know, I gave the game to him. But it is Portal after all, so I foresee a "kthxbai" in my near future. lol

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    Yeah it is just the source engine so same specs as HL2 and Source. So you will need a reasonable card a 8400 at a stretch would run it.

8400 as a stretch? pff. You could run it on an nV 6 servies / ATi X800 series card.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Thats old? I'd die to have that! lol
    It will be two years old come april. My brother was supposed to buy it from me a year ago, as it wipes his desktop to pieces. But at this point I doubt that will happen.

I upgraded to my macbook thats why its my "old" laptop. 2.0ghz core2 duo. 2gb ram. But no graphics card, so sucks huge monkey balls even compared to the 7400, least that ran oblivion well enough. But it was much smaller and lighter than the 17" HP thats why I got it. If only I had waited for the EEEpc I would have went with one of those because all I do is basic stuff on it, and the size would have been even better.

Do you have a 360 zephik? If you do Orange box is out on the 360. It might even be out on ps3 but i heard the framerates were crap on it. If not its all good bro. Portal will be a game to last the ages. Whenever you get to play it it will still be a great game.