Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDE to SATA help

Default IDE to SATA help

hi all ive been a reader for a while but recently came across a problem i could not fix. my system is not the best its a dual core 1.8ghz per core on board graphics on a gigabyte ga-945gcmx-s2. i got this new gigabyte board cause my last one died and was a cheap option this new board has sata connectors for it but i use to have old ide drives a 20 and a 120 gb segate i wanna buy like a 500 gb or something sata how can i transfer everything over to sata and remove ide. also i dont have a cd for my operating software is there anyway to trafer my operating software over aswell. anyhelp is greatly appreciated, one last thing ill need power for my sata drives but my psu doesnt have sata connections is it as simple as getting that self crimping style connector and crimping the camble that go to a molex plug ?

Default Re: IDE to SATA help

I believe Norton has a program can't remember the name, could be Ghost which can trasfer all drive data to another. That way you could use that on the OS drive, then when in Windows on the 500GB SATA drive you would have to copy the files.

You can get Molex to SATA connectors, which cost hardly anything. Sometimes PSUs or Motherboards have them packaged so check your boxes, if you still have them.

Here's a freeware tool which can move the data over.

http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=1668

As Scotty said, Molex to SATA connectors are cheap and work.
    Last edited by crenn; 11-16-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: I FORGOT THE LINK! LMAO!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Helps if you give a link Crenn..

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I believe Norton has a program can't remember the name, could be Ghost which can trasfer all drive data to another. That way you could use that on the OS drive, then when in Windows on the 500GB SATA drive you would have to copy the files.

You can get Molex to SATA connectors, which cost hardly anything. Sometimes PSUs or Motherboards have them packaged so check your boxes, if you still have them.
    ive just ordered uv sheathing and uv molex plugs new molex pins im going to tidy up my wires and do a tutorial on cable sheathing to put it on here i dont reall wanna have molex to sata conextors as it will be all heat shrinked and sheathed thanks for your help guys and quick response i might just take it to my computer guy hes the one who put the windows xp on without a disk lol so i might get him to do it while we are on the subject of ide i took it to him oneday toget a new m/b he put a pci card in one of the slots and that runs one of my hard drives where the other one is run off the m/b than loops through to my cd drive ... wtf ?? any help ?

heres a picture of my system u can see that pci card in there to

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem here, but I think you want to transfer your data from old IDE drives to a new SATA one? Looking at the picture, it seems that the board has IDE connectors, and also has SATA according to the post. Can't you just plug them all in?

Failing that, if you just want to use the SATA drive, use one of these. It will allow you to access any type of drive (IDE (3.5" and 2.5") or SATA) through a usb port.

Start with a fresh install on the SATA, then use this gadget to connect the IDE drives and copy all your stuff from them.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

xmastree, if you look under the IDE cable stretching over the board, you can see the SATA ports.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    xmastree, if you look under the IDE cable stretching over the board, you can see the SATA ports.
    i know there is sata what i was asking is why did this guy who wored on my computer run one ide drive off a pci slot and one ide and cd drive off the motherboard ide ?

Maybe the other IDE slot on the board was inop? I had one board that was that way. Was the board used when you bought it?

He just added a PCI-IDE controller card. They are great for adding more ide's

Quote Originally Posted by shooter05 View Post
    Maybe the other IDE slot on the board was inop? I had one board that was that way. Was the board used when you bought it?

He just added a PCI-IDE controller card. They are great for adding more ide's
    na brand new hes always pretty good for fixing my computer and **** but he only deals in gigabyte boards. i was thinhking ? if i put a hot swapable sata drive in say a 250 and a 250 make a copy of all my operating systems and **** onto one of the drives than call my old ide drive drive (j) just say and change the new sata with all the stuff on it to (C) drive in theroy it should work cause it will always load from the directory c drive ? yes ..... no ?