Thread: Project: Red Rogue (completed)

Default Project: Red Rogue (completed)

I have been lurking on this site for quite some time now, I recently registered and thought I might share one of my projects with you. At the moment I am busy with Amplifier 2.0. This project has been completed in april and I am using it as my workstation now.

The idea for this case comes forward out of discontent with my previous case. A normal ATX case which had only few options for better airflow. I was still in the modding mood after 'finishing' my Amplifier mod (It will be improved rather soon). So I started sketching an came up with a few designs. After some 3d models in Sketchup I had a winner!

So I got started and had some wood sawwed at the hardware store. These parts wood would become my new case, which I baptized Red Rogue. I used a jigsaw to cut the various holes. I glued the hood of the case together, this was one of my more brilliant ideas. I wish to be able to get to my hardware at every possible moment. And the bended window made a door a bit difficult.

And these shots are after the rough work was finished.

Next up was making the bended window, something I haven't seen before and I am particular proud of in this mod. I was and am very happy with the result. I also made some plexi parts to stealth my optical drives. I used red acrylic for the different parts.

Because I have some fans on exhaust in the top, and I wish to open the hood at every given moment I had to come up with a different method to attach the fans.

After that my favourite work came up, painting...NOT. I didn't have enough space to get the job done easy, so I started rushing. Too bad that the result wasn't up to my standards so I re-painted it a small month ago.

At first I put the case on wheels, I was quite happy with riding around my case through the living room while still working on it. I did have my thoughts about the added value of the wheels to the case. They were not my favourite parts. The case then participated in the Benelux Casemod League and came out fourth at the casecons.

After this competition I disassembled the case to give it a new paintjob and some new feet. I also had the idea to place some aluminium profiles which I didn't put on in the first place. I haven't made any pictures of the extra work on the case re-painting it. It wasn't really interesting anyway .

As you can see the case has lost its wheels and is now on short legs with acrylic feet with a red led in it. I also mounted the aluminium profiles which I brushed with sanding paper.

Enough talk, see for yourself if you like the result!

I also made some extra pictures in the dark. At evenings I have a red light district at home That's why I installed some switches (a few pics back) to turn of the lights when needed.

I took the case in this state to the Dutch Casemod championships and it took the eight place. For now on the case is finished, I am happy with the result and have no new ideas. I do have enough ideas for my Amplifier mod, so I will put my energy in that case. I am busy with this case at the moment, you can check my site for more info .

Link To Original Thread

Hope you liked it and I am happy to hear what you think of it!
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 11-19-2007 at 05:53 PM.