Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar question (moved from Modding Q&A)

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Default Guitar question (moved from Modding Q&A)

I have been searching the forums and I can't find anything on it. I know I could be asking in musician forums but I would rather ask here.

My question is about modding an electric guitar. Has anyone done it? Comments, warnings?

I was thinking about buying a used older guitar and updating it and giving it a nice paint job. Solid body Fender strat is what I'm looking at. I just wanted to know if anyone out there can help me or talk me out of it. Thanks.

Default Re: Guitar question

I say go for it!

I'm going to move this to the Chatterbox, since it's not a computer mod project.

A solid body guitar is the easiest to work on and refinish. The electronics within are really simple also, so just take your time taking it apart, take loads of pics and label everything, and you'll be fine.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Default Re: Guitar question (moved from Modding Q&A)

Not hard at all. Make sure that the pickups you use are in good shape (if not replacing them). Also avoid removing the neck since you would need a jig to get it back on and aligned properly. I have helped my Dad refinish dozens of guitars and bases and it really is not that hard unless you start mucking with removing the neck. Even upgrading the pickups is not that hard to do. Just stick with models that are close or ask a professional at the music store.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Thanks for the info. What I kind of paint do I use? Would rattle cans work? How much clear would be needed to keep that beautiful shine? Does anyone's craiglist have a good listing of electric guitars? Most of my listings up here are high end Les Paul's and such. There are a few cheaper ones that need work, but I haven't found one that really caught my eye yet.

I made my own with a bandsaw, and a router back in 8th grade Woodshop.
    Got all the parts from Carvin.Com. . Humbucker Pickups, Knobs, Bridge, Ect.

I've since removed the hardware to fix a friends guitar.
    Here <=- is the link for parts if you choose to go that route.
    Last edited by Eclecticos; 11-19-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Im going to Modify what I am looking for. I do like the single cutout LesPaul. But what really strikes me is the Gibson SG. Its a dual horned guitar and its beautiful. Apparently somewhat rare and expensive. So that might have to wait.

im actually doing this for the band that i do the recording for i bought alot of glow wire and some inverters and i attached the glow wire around the outline of the guitar and now the guitar lights up orange
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

Do you have pics? I would definately be interested in seeing how it works. I was thinking about something like that, but the power source and switching it on and off makes me wonder what I could make room for it without changing the overall guitar too much.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson View Post
    Do you have pics? I would definately be interested in seeing how it works. I was thinking about something like that, but the power source and switching it on and off makes me wonder what I could make room for it without changing the overall guitar too much.
    well the power source is really just 2 double A's its a special inverter trying to remeber what site i t was from

edit i member what site it was it was called www.glowire.com check out the 3v or 9 volts

im thinking about creating a music pulsing circut that would send the 9v back out to the ineverter

as in 9v-------->circut----->inverter-----> glow wire
    not sure if that would work tho

unfortunatly i dont have pics yet and ive mounted the stuff onto the guitar but it was only temporarily mounted their i intened on super glue or some sort of adhesive that is clear (not scotch tape DAMN SCHOTCH TAPE!!!)

but yeah when i finish it ill show u

but the whole band will have glow wire

ive got designs just relle poorly drawn desingns
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha