Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu: Help with fancontrol.

Default Re: Ubuntu: Help with fancontrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    thanks, but even that is too complicated for me. You'd think, that being the smart computer user I am, I'd be able to figure it out but I honestly can't.

Thanks,
    Indybird
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I'd be capable of nothing then.
    Everytime i have tried to install Ubuntu, it destroys my hard drives, so i then have to format and then say screw it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I did try an empty one.

It still went wrong, go knows what i did, then i couldn't format it. Useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    i couldn't install fedora 4,5 or 6 as it kept trashing my hard drives, so its not just you
    I guess that what separates the MEN from the Boys... Right Mal?

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    I've never had the problems you guys are having. There's a bit of a learning curve (as with anything) but it's nothing that someone with will and a free weekend couldn't do.
    Before I get flamed to hell.. I am kidding. I too have never really had the problems stated here lately. Back in 97-98 when I really started using it, I had a lot of issues just getting stuff to do what I wanted, so I know what you are talking about. Todays distros are AWSOME compared to then.
    One thing I have learned is if you really want to get proficient at linux, this is EXACTLY the kind of task that can help you get there. As Mal said, you can do this, its just a matter of digging, tinkering, and doing. </peptalk>

If you choose to press on, we would be glad to help where we can, and would love to hear your progress.

@ Ovride: [manly voice]Definitely.[/manly voice]

I started using Linux when Ubuntu 6.06 was the latest and greatest, so I've never had it that bad. Everything was started to get easier and easier, and that made me like it more and more, and then when I did have problems, I was able to learn from them.
    RIP Bucko

http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwbo...rum/29483.html

Looks like mildly complicated is the only way. you have to install imsensors and edit pwmconfig then set up script to run on boot.

I have no idea what all that means exactly but it seems that's what you have to do.

Well, lmsensors is what you need (lower case L, not upper case I), and you will need to edit a bunch of stuff like CB said. Trust me, it's more trouble than it's worth. You may as well just build a physical unit to control speeds.
    RIP Bucko

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

I don't mean to be asky but, can someone make me a "step-by-step-by-step" guide? (I put the extra "by-step" because I would need every little tiny step)

By the way, I got a fan controller for all of the case fans, its just that I want to adjust the CPU fan speed.

Thanks,
    Indybird

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    By the way, I got a fan controller for all of the case fans, its just that I want to adjust the CPU fan speed.

Thanks,
    Indybird
    Could you run it through one of the controller circuits on the one you have and double up two of the case fans on another circuit?

oh trust me, i spent an entire week trying to get fedora core 6 to install, it was anaconder kept messing up when i tried to format the partitions, didn't matter if i did it manually, automaticly or full drive or part of a drive.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

it destroys my hard drive
    Does the drive get physically damaged, or just repartitioned to ext(2 or 3), which isn't windows friendly? If it's just been repartitioned, to reformat it for windows, you first have to fdisk it.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Indybird, I read through the link offered by xmastree. Where specifically does it get too complicated?

Also, what motherboard do you have? Is it the one in your sig?
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.