Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: LotusBlossom

Default Re: LotusBlossom

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention
    Or extreme air cooling......

or just quickly spray your mobo with Acrylic sealer and then extreme watercooling.

Fresh Paint

Heh, I'm on the other coast from you, and I'm eyeing Katrina as she swirls around in the Gulf. Hoping that she doesn't pull a Charlie on us over here

Lookin' good on the case so far!
    'I'm gonna cut yer heart out wit' a SPOON!'

Sheriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman), Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves

so now that i'm NOT sitting with no power in the middle of hurricane force winds, i thought i might finally get around to doing some test painting. overall, i'm quite happy with the method that i used and the final results, although the one OBVIOUS problem was that there is some "fuzz" around my stencil lines which is easily fixed with some spray adhesive when i'm stenciling. no biggie. at any rate...

so i'm planning on having these all white covers inside my clear case, which have some UV art that is invisible unless the UV lights are on. here's the image/theme i'm going to use, it's a lotus blossom. they're pretty. also, i've been saying that i'm going to get a lotus blossom tattoo on my neck for like 5 years now, so this should placate me for a while.

this was achieved through a high tech method called "tracing against a window." works great. i actually traced it really thinly and then beefed up the lines later based on where i though the positive/negative cuts would look best later.

i placed this transparent template plastic (meant for quilting i think) on top of my traced picture and cut out where necessary with an exacto knife.

this is at a bit of an angle or you can't see the stencil at all. it matches nicely.

test board i painted white. in the future i'd spend more time sanding priming and preping but i really just wanted to get to the painting!

stencil on the board, ready to go.

the UV paint i'm using.

this is a big UV light i had left over from high school, when apparently i thought that at any moment my bedroom might turn into the best club ever and demand some high quality lighting scheme....

painting like this is so boring....

but painting like this is COOL!

random art shot. moving stuff around.

the big reveal

like i said, a light spray adhesive would have solved that fuzzy problem. the parts where the lines are crisp do look nice though, just what i was going for. one comment... this is supposed to be PURPLE and green, not BLUE and green, but maybe if one had their blue paint next to it then this would look purple. in fact, in the picture it looks more purple than it does in person. i dunno. i was also really happy that the WHITE board didn't glow like crazy under the UV light. that was one thing i was testing for. also, i left two of the green leaves uncovered and painted over them with the purple to see what would happen. surprisingly (or not, as purple and green are almost complementary), it created kind of a soft whitish glow, something that would be very useful for highlighting later.

the board in the light again - the UV paint is entirely clear. kinda makes me want to paint all over my apartment just before i move out....

comments? and don't say the fuzz!!!!

:p amberella

Fresh Paint

Awesome! That turned out really well. Maybe the purple looked so blue because of something on the blacklight? The one I have has a red base, and it tends to make anything that's UV red look more pink at times.

And glad to hear you got your power back so quickly. When Francis hit me last year, I was out of power for three weeks!
    'I'm gonna cut yer heart out wit' a SPOON!'

Sheriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman), Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes
    Heh, I'm on the other coast from you, and I'm eyeing Katrina as she swirls around in the Gulf. Hoping that she doesn't pull a Charlie on us over here ... And glad to hear you got your power back so quickly. When Francis hit me last year, I was out of power for three weeks!
    yeah i had no power/water for about a week with chalie/francis last year - three weeks must have been miserable. uck. this category 1 was like a cake walk after that lol! a bottle of wine and some rounds of scattergories later and it's over lol. from the path now it looks like you'll have some crappy weather but prob miss the power outages. better luck next year!

Case Wizard

you might want to try to get some light tack spray adhevise on the stencel. Looks like some of the lines were over spraied or lifed up during the applying of the NEON paint.

Beside the fuzzy look, it looks good :p

ATX Mental Case

Awosme stuff good work!
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

well as i said i would, i got some spray adhesive to fix my overspray lines and the results were great. also, i created two templates that would have some overlap to control where the highlighting would be. take a look.

penciled shading to decide what goes on what template.

side by side and on top of each other.

useless but fun action shot. i should play some grateful dead or something when i paint UV.

layer one done

both layers

more realistic coloring. yea!

i need some ideas of other things that would go with this theme to use as borders, etc. i thought japanese symbols, but too overdone. dragons? maybe a little violent for me. i like the asian zen theme i'm going with.... suggestions?

:p amberella

maybe just a fade? keep the area around the flower clear, then fade with the UV paint around it? Just a thought.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I think it'd look pretty nice if you were to try to develop some kind of fade between the colours where they arent seperated by lines, for example on the lower petals where there is a solid change of colour (Yes, I'm english, we spell color, colour - it isnt a repeated typo lol). Don't know if you already said, and I missed it, but where exactly is this going to go within the case?