Thread: Netgear wireless network range extenders

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Default Netgear wireless network range extenders

Wow, that is quite the mouthful. Anyway, here's the issue. My mother has been trying to set up a wireless network in the house. She knows more about networking than I do but I know enough to help, I hope.

So the wireless network has been set up and is working. But the only people that can use it are the ones with laptops. The desktops either sit in a place where signal sucks or they can't pick up the signal as well. So my mom went out and bought range extenders. Apparently you just plug these babies into a wall socket and go through a set up process and you're done. But she can't seem to get them to work.

I was hoping you 'the Team' could come up with some stuff I could try when I get over there tonight. The only thing I came up with is to turn the encryptions off so I could add the extenders to the network and sync passwords. So does anyone have any experience with this stuff or perhaps have these and be able to suggest things I might try? Thanks 'Team'.

Default Re: Netgear wireless network range extenders

I would first remove the internet connection from the wireless, and reset all the security on the original AP. Try to connect the extenders to the wireless with no security first, and then start turning the security back on.

Once it's all confirmed, reconnect the internet connection, and you should be good to go.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Netgear wireless network range extenders

On the desktop, make sure that you has installed the ethernet drivers on the motherboard. It won't pick up any signal without these if your running it through a RJ-45 jack. If that fails go under Windows Connection Settings and click on the automatically detect settings, rather than running it through a designated IP, which your probably running. If your running a WPA encryption, than those shouldn't interfere with the connection. It also isn't good to run a connection without a secure WPA connection due to intrusion. Try some of those, and run a windows diagnostic of the problem, hope you get it fixed.
    Chris