Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet trouble...

Default Re: Internet trouble...

i agree about connecting to the modem directly, if your act light is flashing it means its connected to the switch. could be a bad switch, or again, dsl is pretty touchy with other phone calls and such. The only way i would use dsl is with a separate line ( had dsl and phone service on same line using filters, and internet was always down and the quality on the phone sucked. ) that could have been ****ty service too... gotta love qwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I have a dsl filter on one phone jack, but not the other 3....maybe this is the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    I have a dsl filter on one phone jack, but not the other 3....maybe this is the reason?
    In the sense that anytime anyone picks up one of the other three phones your dsl will drop out it could be a contributing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    The DSL filters are to filter out the DSL sound on the other phones, by not having them they shouldn't interfere with the DSL itself. They are to cut the high pitch whine out so you don't have to hear it while talking on the phones. That being said it still could be related to filters. I have had almost the EXACT same problem on a couple of occasions. In one case it was a filter that had gone bad and was shorting the line so I would get sporatic disconnects frequently, this included phone service as well. The other time was moisture got into the connections at the box, when the phone was picked up the load was increased and it would start shorting, causing the DSL to disconnect, then later the line would start to crackle.

I don't know if this is the same in your case but I hope it can shed some light on your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    The DSL filters are to filter out the DSL sound on the other phones, by not having them they shouldn't interfere with the DSL itself.

... err except as I said above in that every time someone picks up one of the other phones it can cause the dsl to drop. the filter is a splitter that splits off the dsl frequencies to the dsl jack and the phone frequencies to the phone jack.

Not having splitters on all extensions can cause exactly this problem but it's easy to test for. Go pick up the phone that doesn't have a splitter and see if your dsl drops or not.

Limit your upload to 15kbps. If your not uploading you may want download less at the same time.
    Last edited by Eclecticos; 12-02-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    ... err except as I said above in that every time someone picks up one of the other phones it can cause the dsl to drop. the filter is a splitter that splits off the dsl frequencies to the dsl jack and the phone frequencies to the phone jack.

Not having splitters on all extensions can cause exactly this problem but it's easy to test for. Go pick up the phone that doesn't have a splitter and see if your dsl drops or not.

Not to start a flame war or anything but my DSL filters are inline and not splitters, but I do know they make them so you can have a phone at the same jack as your DSL modem.

I did some more looking into DSL Filters and apparently they filter both ways. So not only do they filter out the DSL signals from the phones, they also filter out any interference that can be caused by the analog telephone. A pretty good sum up can be found on Wikipedia...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A DSL filter is an analog low-pass filter installed on telephones and other analog devices to prevent interference between such devices and Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) service operating on the same line. Without the installation of DSL filters, high-frequency signals or echoes from analog devices can result in reduced performance and connection problems with DSL service, and the high-frequency signals from the DSL service can result in line noise and other issues for analog devices.
    So CB is right, the problem can be and most likely is the fact that the other lines do not have filters on them.

Sorry ... Double post.. admin please delete..

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Not to start a flame war or anything but my DSL filters are inline and not splitters, but I do know they make them so you can have a phone at the same jack as your DSL modem.

So CB is right, the problem can be and most likely is the fact that the other lines do not have filters on them.
    Point is that even inline filters are still signal splitters .. that type just split the signal out for the phone and don't have a dsl output. Usually one has only one dsl device on a line but often more than one phone. You can split the incoming signal at the door and have the whole phone loop on one splitter.

I have a bunch of inline splitters so I'm going to put these on the rest of the lines once I find them...