Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burn from networked computer

Default Burn from networked computer

Hey guys, I have (what I hope is) a simple question.

Do you know of any software that will let me burn something to a DVD from a networked computer, with the drive from my everyday use computer? I've got an ISO I really want to burn (Slackware.. looks interesting) but I don't want to transfer over 3.5GB to my hard drive and have it waste perfectly good space.

It would probably just be easier to make a VNC session and just plug in a burner to my server huh...

Also, like I just said, it's on my server (Ubuntu). Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I don't see it under "Networked places" for Deepburner.
    RIP Bucko

Default Re: Burn from networked computer

Yeah, that's easy. You can do it with whatever software you normally use to burn stuff. Only instead of telling it to look for the image on your hard drive, tell it to look on the network. It's going to be very slow because the data still has to transfer across the network, but regardless, it'll work.

Make sure you turn the burn speed way down, or you'll get buffer under run errors.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

If it's on a windows machine you're trying to bur it wit wont see the linux server on the network (i think)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    If it's on a windows machine you're trying to bur it wit wont see the linux server on the network (i think)
    of course it can.. its one of the wonderful features of samba xD

also back to the question.. can you normally see the server? or is it when your just browsing for the file in your burning software..

cant you get a small hard drive or pen drive to transfer it across?
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

Quote Originally Posted by si-skyline View Post
    of course it can.. its one of the wonderful features of samba xD

also back to the question.. can you normally see the server? or is it when your just browsing for the file in your burning software..

cant you get a small hard drive or pen drive to transfer it across?
    I was under the impression Samba was for using under Linux to see Windows. I need the other way around.

All I ever do is FTP, SSH, or VNC to it. I've never tried looking for it before.

And I COULD get a flash drive, but it'd be a MASSIVE waste of money. It's a 3.5GB ISO, so I'd need a 4GB drive, at least.

Meh, it'll just be easier to burn it through a VNC session. Thanks for the input though.
    RIP Bucko

if you can type in a location of the file couldnt you just type in the ftp address?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Nope, doesn't let me.
    RIP Bucko

You need to load up the Samba Server and smbfs. Then you can create shares that you can browse using Windows.

Here is a how to that should give you an idea. I will look for a better one.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubunt...ver-on-ubuntu/

And YES .. you should definitely check out Slackware!!!

EDIT:
    This is a bit more comprehensive...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    I was under the impression Samba was for using under Linux to see Windows. I need the other way around.

All I ever do is FTP, SSH, or VNC to it. I've never tried looking for it before.

And I COULD get a flash drive, but it'd be a MASSIVE waste of money. It's a 3.5GB ISO, so I'd need a 4GB drive, at least.

Meh, it'll just be easier to burn it through a VNC session. Thanks for the input though.
    Samba is for letting windows see linux file system as a network drive... allowing the windows computer to map a drive letter to this location. (basically). worth looking into and setting up... could save time later on...

why not make a quick and dirty web page that has the file linked in it and then download it to your everyday computer and then burn as usual.

if you do ftp, file needs to be located in the ftp directory on your server, before you can see it... most likely under /home/ftp

and slackware rocks!!!