Thread: linux and scheduling :)

Default linux and scheduling :)

hay peeps.. i was wondering if you could help me with a bit of a problem..

i have a classic xbox running linux and it has my website running on it thats all nice and good but, to be eco-friendly i want to turn it off every night and back on in the day. but i dont have access to turn it on and off every day.. and if i could. well, that would be a drag

so... i was wondering if there is a way to schedule my linux box to power on and off (standby, hibernate, whatever) at given times?
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

Default Re: linux and scheduling :)

Well from what I know.. Linux doesn't really have a standby mode, but I may be wrong (I primarily use it as a server platform rather then desktop). For scheduling you would use cron. it would be easy to schedule a cron job to shut it down, just not sure how you would get it to fire back up again. It almost sounds like you would need something external to do it.

Correction: Looks like I spoke to soon (again) Here is an article on how to set it up for a laptop, maybe you can use this as a place to start.

http://www.linux.com/feature/114220

Default Re: linux and scheduling :)

Thanks ovride for the great find

but it dont really tell me how i can schedule a retore :/ lol a task what seems so simple.. i know in xp if you put the computer into standby it will auto restore when something scheduled to run but dont think it works quite the same in linux
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1