Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powertools: too much power?

Default Re: Powertools: too much power?

If you want to cut plexi with a dremal (I do, not the best way but it works), get a copper carbide cutting wheel. The copper colored one at your local hardware store, it cutt straight through plexi like butter, KEEP IT SLOW!

looks like this:

The one I got is recommened for plastics and it works great.

Spaceroach

Although I'm not finished by a long shot (don't buy the cordless dremels), I've got my sidepanel windows cut, and I've cut out the holes for the main chassis fan (in back) and the radiator (out front). Right now I'm working on cutting the plexi, and indeed slowness is paramount - my jigsaw went too fast in one spot and I found that the separate pieces had melted and fused; I had to cut it out again.

I picked up the carbide wheel as per the above recommendation, and will soon commence designing and constructing the front bezel (all plexi).

This has been a learning experience for me. Even though these things may be common knowledge to most of you, and is posted in many guides to cutting, here are the things I've learned:

1. When cutting your side panel, the best place to keep it clamped down is the case it's attached to. You won't be able to make the whole cut, due to stuff like drive cages inside the case, but this will make life easier.

2. When you can't cut using above method, try to find some thin scrap plywood and clamp your panel to that. And clamp it down good.

3. Cover your panel with masking tape if you don't wanna bung up the paint job - the jigsaw shoe will scratch it to hell.

4. When you buy a Dremel, make sure it's NOT CORDLESS. I bought the Mini Mite cordless Dremel... a battery charge is good for about ten minutes cutting and then recharge for another three hours. Avoid these things like plague.

5. Quarter inch plexi is wonderful to work with. You want to make something from this stuff; it's great. Just cut s l o w . . . if you smell burning plastic you just fudged up, and your cut is going to fuse behind the blade. Think of this as an opportunity to walk away and take a break (away from the toxic fumes, ideally).

Anyhow, I just want to thank all of you who took the time to offer your expert advice once again; no doubt I'd be known as The Guy with One Hand and a Mangled Case if it weren't for you. I'll try to keep y'all updated if I ever make any progress... it'd probably be faster if I had a better Dremel.

Anodized

i have found that an old milk crate works well for cutting into side panels. I have never liked Plexi because no matter how carefull and slowly i take it i always seem to shatter it. So i made the switch to Lexan. It is much more flexable and nearly impossible to break. the best thing for cutting any type of Plexi or Lexan would be EXTREME CARE. my shop is flooded with scrap Lexan and broken Plexi. Thankfully i know a guy that works at a glass cutting shop that makes custom windows and he laser cuts them. Thats the way to go.

ATX Mental Case

Well, it looks like it has all been said already, but some things are worth repeating...

- Make sure you have the proper blade for your jigsaw. Metal blades are good for metal and plastic.
    - Slow and steady on lexan or plexi
    - measure 3 times

As to your comments on the cordless dremel, I would re-phrase them. Do not use a cordless rotary tool for cutting, simply does not have the power and the charge will not last long enough. Cordless rotary tools however, are perfect for scoring or etching, touch ups to cuts, small "adjustments" to cuts, and other small things like that.
    ================================================== =========
    "And when you kill a man you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all and you're a God." - Megadeth