Thread: Help me build a server

Default Help me build a server

I'm thinking, once I have some money I want to build my own server. Most likely it would be a web server. Perhaps I could host some games on it though. Now, while I may have a lot of computer knowledge, I'm not confident that I know enough about what makes a good server. Can you guys help me put one together on Newegg?

Default Re: Help me build a server

Easily. What's your budget? Do you want to run windows, linux, unix? Do you have any spare parts? Have a look in my sig. I have a link to my server build with the specs in the first post.

Spare parts would be great. Are you wanting to run it headless?
    CPU: Pentium IV 2.67 G
    Board: GIGA GA-8PE800PRO
    Memory: KINGSTON 256MB 266Mhz DDR x2
    Video Card: ASUS GF2 MX400 64MB
    HDD: SEAGATE 80GB BARRACUDA 7200.7
    Case: ENLIGHT P4 MIDI TOWER CASE
    Power Supply: *NEW* CORSAIR HX-520W!!
    Cooling: AIR
    Operating System: MS XP

How many people are you expecting to connect? I've done the whole home server thing before (mostly for games) and really you are bound more by your internet connection than hardware.

One of the games I hosted was on a 2.8Ghz Celly D with 1gb of ram, and my business class connection where I was topped out on upload way before the celly was stressed much at all.

Something you probably know, but something to be aware of. Realizing the current price on hosts, if I were to do it again I'd of put the money into a host instead of extra pieces to get that rig up and running, but now that im bored with that I have another rig, instead of nothing so I guess it works out in its own way.

well i would say try get a networking and hosting book of some sort. and also (if your running it now) use windows xp pro and install the IIS (internet information service) feature and go about opening port 80 and that..

that will easily do the web browsing for you.. just a quick wizard and thats it.. not much fun, so if you want use linux xD its not as hard as some people make out it to be but tis not a wizard like iis and you will need to be a bit network term friendly..

me personally over the gaming hosting is linux all the way. most if not all gaming servers are made for linux distros. but dont be put off by that because there are a few games that have a server program for a windows machine.. just some off my head battlefield and also gta mp..

also if your worried about security make sure you do the normal things, upto date virus scans and such
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1