Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous UPS componants

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Dangerous UPS componants

There you go. The only part is that, from what you said, there is a cavity in the front. Depending on the size of the converter, you would have to run the wire up to the front of the unit then throughout the ups to get it where you need it. Shouldn't be that bad though I would think. Also, is there any outlets on the ups that just work as a surge protector, not a battery backup? I think some of them will have a couple outlets that are straight through power and will just shut off when the power goes out. If so, you won't have to do the relays, just plug into that. BOOM, DONE! lol Nice thinking.

**Lightbulb!**

Unless you don't have one. You could just take a 12v transformer and cut the end off of it and just use the wires to power up what you need. Again, you would just have to watch the amps.

AC-DC Power Supply

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

ok well i took off one the boards (the one with the big cap) to look at things more closely this morning. also because im going to need to make a whole to route wires through and its a good thing we worked out this ac dc adaptor idea. seems that fan works on 24 volts not 12. unfortunately im not versed in electronics enough to know how to make a voltage devider or what effect that would have on anything else.

about discharging the cap inside the ups. apparently if you read the manual for changing the battery it tells you how to discharge the thing. wich after reading it i totaly should have though of... it goes like this. unplug from wall. disconnect the batteries. turn it on.... tadaaaaaa!!!
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Custom Title Honors

Imagine that! lol I would just get the adapter and plug it into the back. I'm sure you could find one cheap and have the rated specs you would need leaving you with the know how of twisting/soldering/heat shrink or taping wires together and placement of the items.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

i know the adaptor is going to be 12V but i dont know how many milliamps it should be rated for.

Custom Title Honors

See what your components are rated at and look accordingly.

Figuring power ratings.

For example:
    These use +/-3.7W at 12V, that means for these alone you would need a 12v, 300mA(.3A) adapter minimum (3.7/12). Don't forget about your LED's.

totaly going to check that out!! i have one last question here... ya i know i have been picking your brain alot but here goes. with an acdc adaptor lets say all my devices only want lets pick an arbatrary number here ... lets say 100 milliamps, and the adaptor that i have supplies 300 will i be frying my devices or will they just take what they need?

Custom Title Honors

It should just "take/send" what is needed at the components. I have done that with the equipment here. Hooked up ac-dc rated at 12v 500mA to a device rated at 12v 400mA and nothing happened. If you think about it, it is just like your PSU in your computer. You have the 12V rails rated at 25A+ but your motherboard only needs 2A(exagerated). The ac-dc adapter is just a scaled down version of a PSU and in this case only has 1 output which would be equivalent to your PSU with 1 12V rail at 60A. Everything that is rated at 12V and is less then 60A will run without a problem until you reach the units peak output (60A). Then you will start to have problems, ie, burning out the power supply or the equipment not working properly due to not enough power. In short. No, there should not be an issue, BUT if you look on most applications, the required power for the device usually matches the power source. Ex. 12V 500mA connected to 12V 500mA.

**Did a quick google search and was reminded about housing... 100A service to the house, you only use 68A. Nothing blows up.

thanks again :-) your very knowlageable. thanks for letting me pick your brain. +rep

Custom Title Honors

lol, no problem and glad to help. Make sure we/I get pics when its done.

Also... found THIS Basically just proves what I said. If you don't want to read it, the person hooked up a fan rated for 12V .48A (480mA) to an adapter rated at 12V .55A (550mA) and has not had any issues.

Good Luck. Thanks for the rep.

ok the worklog is going up now :-)