Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDE capabilities?

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Default Re: IDE capabilities?

Nevermind that last comment. I got home and looked. Apparently I wasnt paying very good attention when I took it apart. There is a master and a slave IDE connector. But the truth comes down to me being an idiot. Not only do I now have to figure this out I have to send the power supply back. I didnt test it before I set the whole machine up and guess what? Thats right, defect.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

well that kinda sucks dude but at least it buys you a little more time to figure out what the plan is. ya if your devices have master and slave jumper settings on them then its definately not scsi and you definately didnt have all 3 on one cable.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Well I talked to him this morning. He wants to know if I can do both. One being get him a SATA drive, and the other to get a conversion cable so he can still have his old drive and that way I could slave it so he wont lose any information. And I talked to the psu people last night. They told me a few things I could do to see if it was really a defect. Apparently the 115v/230v switch wasn't fully in the 115v spot. By switching it back and forth I got it to work. I hate when no matter what you do when trying to trouble shoot nothing works. Then when tech support tells you to do it, it works just fine. I know what I'm doing but it didnt do that last time! But anyway, it works. Now I just have to find my keyboard and mouse to hook up to it. And build a face for the floppy drive.

He is a pro photographer and wanted me to put in a card reader. Well he chose a 3.5" card reader, and still wants a floppy drive. So I bought some styrene and I am going to dremel the floppy part of the old computer out and fit it in the new one and build a styrene face. I will post some pics. I got lazy and dicouraged last night. But I will be out of town this weekend so probably monday or tuesday.

Thanks for everyone for your help. +rep

You could also get a SATA DVD burner to replace one or both of the drive.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

He doesnt have a dvd player besides the one in the computer. I helped him move. His phone has to be the first experimental phone before they got rid of the rotary phone. I was just trying to get him something that worked and still use his old stuff. He wants to feel like he still has a bit of the old computer with him. Then he brings up maybe he could just do an external. 'Hey *snaps fingers* focus!' He wants this new machine for a new digital camera that he hasnt bought yet.