Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDE capabilities?

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Default IDE capabilities?

I am building a computer for a friend of mine and I ordered this motherboard and it came with a IDE cable for 2 connections. I however, have a CD-rw, a dvd rom and one hard drive that have to go in there. All of these are older units so I am trying to put them in the IDE. My question is can I use a different IDE cable with 3 connectors and will it still work? I don't want to overload the motherboard, but I have never had this issue before. And to throw this out there, I know nothing about SATA.

Thanks.

Default Re: IDE capabilities?

no. Ide is only capable of a master and slave on one controller.

No sata drives?
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

if you only have one ide channel and 3 ide drives to use you could get a usb external box and use that for on the of cd drives. i know a company named onspec makes a universal external usb encloser with a removable front panel. you can mount cd dvd and hard disks in it. i have one here at my desk, couldent find a link, ask your local supplier
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

The board has sata, but I don't think any of the drives are sata capable. I was thinking of trying to come up with a sata hdd, but I didnt want to spend someone elses money unless I really have too. And I want to mount it on the inside. He's not too good with computers and I dont want him poking around.

just get a ide>usb cable.
    Theyre easy to pick up on ebay
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

its really too bad he dosent have a dvd burner cause then you could just use that and get rid of the seccond drive. there pretty inexpensive these days. maybe something to concider. looks to me one way or another you will either loose some functionality or have to spend some cash on one thing or another. to quote the templar knight from indiana jones movie "you must choose..... wisely"

What about something like a IDE/SATA converter? I could find one of these somewhere. I did some research on SATA, but I dont have the computer in front of me. So I will have to go home and make sure that nothing has a SATA connection. Its just that the machine I pulled the CD, DVD and HD out of were all connected via the same cable...

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal23 View Post
    its really too bad he dosent have a dvd burner cause then you could just use that and get rid of the seccond drive. there pretty inexpensive these days. maybe something to concider. looks to me one way or another you will either loose some functionality or have to spend some cash on one thing or another. to quote the templar knight from indiana jones movie "you must choose..... wisely"
    Yeah, but he does some burning music from multiple cds and doesnt really understand the idea of ripping, so it would be tedious of him to constantly remove cds and put them back in. I'm trying to get him along on the path, but one step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson View Post
    Its just that the machine I pulled the CD, DVD and HD out of were all connected via the same cable...
    3 devices on one cable? you sure they arent SCSI devices? i take it the cable looks like a regular ide cable (could be a lil wider) if thats the case you can count the pins on the back of hard drive where the ribon cable connects. if theres more then 40 then its a scisi device and you will need a scsi controler.

nevermind.