Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First proper driving lesson.

Default Re: First proper driving lesson.

The only lesson I had was about 20 minutes with my mom and a couple of cones, learning how to paralell park.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenril View Post
    I got my license 6 months ago and I've still only done half an hour in an empty carpark... Driving round in circles, trying to avoid the imaginary cars but still crashing into them.

Ive done that one too xD

Its going to be a pain in the ass to reverse when i start that, but i wont have any lessons till after the new year, maybe i should get some pracise in first

Parallel parking...learning to do that was a nightmare.

I was taught how to parallel park in Boston, in the middle of busy freaking Chinatown. My big ol' 240dl sedan tank trying to parallel park in china town with busy people walking all around me while I was doing it. Add to that a little Chinese dude in a big fish truck in the space behind me watching me giggling as he slowly inched the truck forward leaving me less and less space.

Ohhhh was I pissed. And the person I was driving with wouldn't let me go park somewhere else. I had to park there. When all was said and done I was heated, and there was literally inches between me and the other cars.

Ohhh was I pissed at that little asian dude in his fish truck. He was having a ball though. It was the funniest thing in the world to him. When I got out he apologized but said it was hilarious to see me try to park while he was doing that. I wanted to strangle him.

Needless to say, I can parallel park like a mo'fo now lmao.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I passed my test last Saturday, now I can drive by myself.

Poor you night train, I still hate parallel parking lol, always try to avoid it.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Congrats! Watch out for those pedestrians now.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Thanks buddy (if that was directed at me lol).
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I learned to drive in my moms '68 Plymouth station wagon. I was 12. I had a paper route and the only way to deliver the Sunday paper was in a car. I would get up WAY early on Sunday and fold the papers, then wake up my mom to drive me around. I started getting up early and before waking her up, I would go take the car for a spin in the church parking lot down the street (really mom, I was just warming up the engine for you). That stopped when she got up early one morning...

Took my driving test in a manual transmission souped up Vega. In a snowstorm. My only misstep? When turning left onto a one way street, I did not take the leftmost lane. At one point during the driving test, I had stopped on a hill for a signal and the DMV tester reached over and turned off the ignition. She wanted to watch me start the car and take off on a hill using the emergency brake.

Fun fact; In the US, MOST cars are automatic transmission. In Europe most cars are manual transmission.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Congrats! Watch out for those pedestrians now.
    I thought they were to slow you down

Terry, yea hills there is a hill 9well slope) coming upto a roundabout, i stalled it lol. The first thing you forget is to put the brake on... Starting wasn't that hard, the instructor is a great fun guy didn't even shout when i nearly destroyed his gear box, ah fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I thought they were to slow you down

Terry, yea hills there is a hill 9well slope) coming upto a roundabout, i stalled it lol. The first thing you forget is to put the brake on... Starting wasn't that hard, the instructor is a great fun guy didn't even shout when i nearly destroyed his gear box, ah fun times.

During my trip to Scotland this year I encountered my first Round-a-bout (well there is ONE in socal, but that is another story) and to top things off I was just learning to drive the right hand side of the car, with the shifter on the left. I pulled into the roundabout and was not paying enough attention and cut off a big truck who braked hard and laid on the horn. The two cops in the car behind the truck were quite amused as my brand new rental car (15 miles on the odometer) lurched and bucked into the center of the roundabout and _almost_ stalled as I fought to find first gear (starting out in 3rd was not easy). I finally found the gear, burned a little rubber off the tires (excuse me, tyres) and drove on. Too bad I took the wrong exit as I would be back to that roundabout to try again... By the end of the trip I had mastered the roundabout and am now a big proponent of them here in the states.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Haha. Roundabouts are awesome, you can screw so many people up with one mistake

Atleast you went the right way.

I saw a rental car come up to the roundabout IN the correct lane, then some of them split for traffic coming on to the rb and traffic going off, this guy then switch the side of the road, went around the round about the wrong way and went off down the wrong way! I was so shocked. The worse bit is there were cops who didn't notice!