Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2126272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Project N0NAME

D'Oh

Default Re: Project N0NAME

You could always try buying a cheap one, at least for your northbridge.. of course, it would end up dumping heat in the water loop, so.. neah It's better to have all or nothing in this case. Either cool each element, or don't :| I still would like to see how my setup would work. I never seen it done... so maybe some have tried and f$%^ed their systems?

Some pics:

old friend of mine, had it since my coming here to TBCS, is used for the first time. I got tot the freezing point, the cold side even formed a small layer of frozen condesation.. But the PSU is showing signs of death (smells funny) Guess I better stop using it.. 12V on this weird load is having a funny effect on the brand-less PSU..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I've got a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II on my north bridge so I think I may wait a while before I contemplate a change.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

D'Oh

The boy 4rm oz: As far as I've seen it is fairly good. Lots of people use it and it works even for heavily over clocked systems, with little noise Of course, even if I don't need it, I'm still going with water cooling on the mother board chip too. I had some funds come in and ordered some stuff:

..black tubing.. more cheap than the black coolant, hopefully looks good. If not, I'm gonna change it with normal tube.. normal means UV

..no pic, as I've showed them before..
    ..some 90 degrees angled fittings.. I'm trying to do the loop I have in mind, but that's something a bit far fetched.. so I'm keeping it simple for now.. but compatible with my secret design

..something nice for my north bridge.. I've seen good reviews about this block and it is available here. It's performance should be 1 or 2 degrees worse than the mcw30.

The stuff above is ordered and should arrive tomorrow or the day after... What is next still needs some funds, but I'm getting close to my desired savings number

A nice pump, to change the hydor I'm gonna keep that pump for something else, and have the powerful laing (either model 1 or 2-better, depends what I can get) in my main loop I've been studying the different models specs and am not sure what to buy: it is price vs performance vs some other stuff... I found a pump, made by laing, but bigger, with mixed specs, yet cheaper.. will have to see what I can get faster, cheaper and lastly better.

More updates to come.

Q: which brand is "better": alphacool or innovatek?

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

D'Oh

Update:
    That was fast. Delivery in less than 24 hours I got my stuff! Look what I got for 90 bucks, shipping included:

The block, some fittings and AS5.

The block in all its glory. There is some jet impingement here: the top part sits completely on top of the pins, the fittings go all the way down and water can only go in some small channels, then the pins.. It's fairly tight in there, but reviewers say it is a good thing in this case, as flow doesn't suffer that much.

I mock-installed some fittings to see how they would look.. nice.. and the base is mirror polished.. Looks flat too.. but on further testing, when I placed a blade on it, light was coming thru all directions.. so, the base is concave.. Well, I think I can lap it

these are the screws that came with the block.. seen some pics with the block installed and I love the big thumb-nuts

.and these are the instructions lol, nice read

..the new tubes.. going black with black accents

..and all my money together

I have to work on my other projects first, so the upgrade of n0name must wait.. but I'm so excited to see whether I can get higher "FSB" with this

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I would say Alphacool are the better brand.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

D'Oh

I could have chose alphacool or innovatek fittings, the first being a bit more expensive. It was just a browser choice: the shopping basket kept clearing whenever I added the innovatek fittings.. lol

New stuff acquired so I made some pics of them And some preview of what I plan..

I lapped the base of the new water block so that there wouldn't be so much light passing when doing the edge test.. I rubbed it with 220 a lot.. then went up to 600, grit by grit... then I went back to 220, as it still wasn't flat enough.. sanded a lot.. but now I'm happy and will stick to my joke of a lapping.. I don't have any 1000 or higher right now.. so.. that's all the lapping I can do.

Installed the block with the nice looking screws (I have to admit I really like them.. it is something completely innocent thought ) AS5 applied.

at the back the water block's screws have nice looking rubbery grommets

I rearranged the fittings a little to match my plans.. hopefully, the angled fittings don't add to much restriction.. I have 2 of these in my loop between pump exit and cpu in.

I'm gonna try and modd the case so that the PSU is bottom mounted at the bottom, mobo in the middle, double rad at the top. The 2 things that worry me are that the mother board tray is far from easily removed. It is actually one piece with the entire back plate.. and the back fan hole is too close to cut.. easily The other problem is the huge amount of cabling this PSU has..

..to help with the metal work.. I bought some sheet metal.. 2 square meters.. You can see it in comparison with the case Big hunk of metal

also bought a drill, drill bits and a center puncher.. I have more tools and materials from the past.. But I would need one thing: a riveting tool of some sort. I've seen one today at the place I bought my stuff from, but was more expensive itself than all my purchases (more than 50$)! Need to find a cheaper one..

for easier storage and future manipulating, I cut the big sheet in 4 50x100cm sheets. That would be like 8 custom side panels

also, the nexxxos cpu block has holes for mounting LEDs.. right under the black mounting metal thing.. I found 2 blue ones that are just screaming to get a new home

Till next update..

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Pick your posion:

Harbor Freight Rivet Gun
    Harbor Freight Rivets

Home Depot Rivet Gun
    The dont seem to have any rivets online, none-the-less you can buy them locally. Hope those links help you out buddy, good luck with your mod.
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

D'Oh

10ks.. but because I live kinda far away from these stores.. I'm just gonna go mad because I live in Europe, far far away from English speakers.. there are some German stores nearby tho.. that's where I bought my stuff.. The stuff you picked would be perfect.. if only I was in the US.. 10ks nonetheless.. I can now visualize what to buy

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

ahh your across the pond, learn something new everyday.

Go to http://www.toolsdirectonline.com/
    product code: 14-1280

think that should do you good. i dont know if that price is too expensive for you, ill let you decide.

thanks for the rep. much appreciated
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

D'Oh

That is half the price.. compared to what I've seen, but still I find it a tad expensive after currency conversion I found one, but not where I live, in the city where I study, for less than 10$, was well built.. but it's 200km away now Anyways, just for geographical reference, I'm a good 1000miles plus away from England.. waaaay inland I'm gonna search for one of the boogers tomorrow

I studied the case and noticed there is a way I can squeeze the psu and the big radiator in the top, without having to de-rivet, cut and re-rivet the case But I still need a rivet gun for my personal enjoyment 10ks again