Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Project N0NAME

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Project N0NAME

Are you seriously applying ALL of the paint in one session? If you are, theres no doubt that your paint is going to "react". You need to let the paint sit for hours, DAYS even, in between each coat. The more time you give the paint, the better. For a good, thorough painting guide: http://www.mnpctech.com/case-mod-pai...od-how-to.html

and marquee's paint guide: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...9&postcount=24

D'Oh

oh no, it took 2 days to paint the case... and the psu was painted in 4 days... and i read the guide.. again.. and i bought duplicolor paint... everything went smooth, but the clear coat...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

ATX Mental Case

Did you do the sanding correctly? I think the best advice anyone can give is to just be patient.

D'Oh

well.. now i've learned my lesson.. although sooo much time between coats is a bit annoying, considering that my pc does work.. i might just as well wait.. still,hy did the paint from dulpicolor react with the clear coat from duplicolor?! even after 2 days of drying... the psu got a face lift last night.. i dremeled a 120mm hole in the center.. and sanded it silverish.. i'll sand some more and then clear coat it there is nooo way i'll mess it up now i hope. And i will buy a new psu eventually(after a month or two), so i think i'll try a silver psu in a black case... i'm at a class right now and i don't want to get trown out .. so, cheers!

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Resident Alcoholic

It looks to me like you painted several thin layers of clearcoat and as clearcoat takes a long time to dry due to it being higher gloss and stickier than paint, the first layers hadn't had time to dry completely before the layers were put ontop of them. This caused the top layers to crack when the bottom layers dried and contracted. It's a pretty common problem. I dont expect it reacted with the paint though, although duplicolour is an aweful paint haha.
    Peace
    H

D'Oh

you are right! i did paint like normal paint.. thin layers, wait to dry completelly (so i'd like to think)... well, some say duplicolor is good... i don't know.. the paint was very nice, so was the primer... the clear did something simillar 2 what u said, but i'm positive of the ill-reaction because the paint peeled off completely where i put clear, and the primer stayed there.. it turned to a lizard skin.. 4 some momments, i even wantd to keep the weird texture and paint more clear to harden it.. but neah.. where the reaction did't take place, the black stayed steady and was hard to sand away... but next time, i'll wait more [much more] between clear layers.. again, 10ks.

Resident Alcoholic

thats bizarre that the paint peeled! maybe though, this was also due to the paint contracting on top of it? Clear coat is always a little sketchy. Sometimes it turns white, sometimes it turns blue, sometimes it pools like oil on water! I stay away from the stuff myself, I ruined a lot of my stencil graff artwork by clearcoating it, so Im not realy a fan of it!

D'Oh

onelegout: guess i'll do too.. until i get more skilled.. and learn more about chemicals and paints.. someday i wanna buy an air-brush-thingy with the works and learn the art...

still! i will clear coat my psu, after completing the close-to-mirror/brushed finish..
    i have some pics.. funny ones

..this is a friend, using my dremel.. to make nice things to wear with his keys one of the many uses of a cutting disc...

..and back to my psu.. as can be seen, i cut the 120mm hole, but i don't really intend putting a fan there.. maybe a grill.. mesh.. not important, cause it cant be seen..

after a 2 hour carefull sandind and wet-sanding with 160 grit sand-paper...

next, i plan to make a small cut (looking for weird shape) in the visible side and mount a window(cd case plastic probably), with some sort of design etched on it(looking 4 one too)... oh,and create a nice effect with the wire-brush attachement on the metal surfaces visible (on the outside, that is, cause i plan on selling this unit )..

D'Oh

well, i've got myself in a bit of a root.. don know when i'll do any more modding, cause i'm in danger of being expelled.. bye

Resident Alcoholic

eek! whuddya do? was it drugs?
    no?
    liar.

The psu sounds like its going to be cool! I have never thought of using cd case plastic for a small window!