Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Project N0NAME

D'Oh

Default Re: Project N0NAME

hi all... i now have an asus drw-1608P3S antec case still not here... ah, flunked another exam.. maths again.. but it's not over yet.. i have an examination later today on the written paper i produced earlier.. yey.. :| well, i see an opurtunity here: to pressure the guys from the store, who were supposed to get my case last week

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

D'Oh

excellent.. i just got a ticket for disturbing the quiet.. worth a lot here.. a bit more than 100$... great.. that's gonna set me back..
    but in the morning i'm picking up the case.. i hope...
    EDIT:

I'm bored, so i started up 3ds and a had a go at the antec dimensions..

i'm thinking of redirecting the airflow, and isolating the separate zones of my pc: psu, cpu, and vdo+hdd+mobo... i've got just one theoretical problem till now and that's a big one.. i need a special pot, but a triple variation.. i can find stereo ones, mono ones.. but not triples... dang.. i'm trying to use one control knob for several purposes... and do a more linear control of the fan speed... gonna be tricy.. i'm using Orcad to simulate circuits.. really nice, tells me exactly what resistors i need and of what power.. to be on the safe side.. plus currents, voltages.. nice tool to simulate a PSU also

well, more in the morning..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

I love the idea for the cpu cooling. As for disturbing the peace, LMAO. Happened to me once, but that was with a little (oxygen + 42oz QT cup + flame) experiment of mine.

D'Oh

Still bored... so i made a quick rendering of the cpu ducts... just a quick one.. cause i'm sleepy now.. so, good night

D'Oh

Yupeee... got the case.. installed everything.. nice.. except for one thing.. temps.. they kinda went up but i'm not running both 120mm fans, so i guess it's understandable.. now i get 44 degrees for cpu, 32 system and 31 hdd.. room temperature is colse to 30 too.. but i'll see if this is trully the cause..

Now, time for pics.. oh, i noticed that there aren't many reviews of the Antec SLK-3000B around, so.. i'll give this a shot

no pic for the box it came in, cause it's plain corrugated brown thich.. well, u know.. nothing special..

Here is what u find inside.. antec 3 year warranty, a mechanical drawing, one case wrapped in plastic and with 2 styrofoam pieces holding it.. paint finish of the case was unharmed after a 3 day ride, so this packaging is effcient.

Next, some things that are worth a pic:

loooots of screws, i counted and there are a few more than a full install requires.. especially the huge headed screws are in a large amount.. they are used to install hard drives, and you can install 5-7 of these, if u don't use a floppy.. (i don't) or some other devices that need lots of space behind the front panel's 3,5" openings..

..these are some replacements if u do rip the metal behind the 5,25" openings and for some reason u want them back.. hmm... i see no use for these, but maybe someone can think of one..

the front.. i think it's nice... not perfect for my needs, but nice.. i have a really noisy front fan and the openings work on silencing it a bit.. and there is good airflow too.. i can feel it

front door opened... i don't like this much, as the door is sturdier than other ones i've seen, but i really don't want to break it.. so i'm thinking of doing something to it..

side panel is very nice.. the hole are good for a normal system, but don't suite me that well.. the cpu duct hole i mean.. but for normal heatsinks(non-tower) or a bit more airflow when watercooling, they are nice.. the vdo/pci holes are working fine too, even though my plan rgarding them is far from being completed..

i love the latcehs.. they have such a nice feel.. and the door is pseudo-hinged.. nice.. there could even be a way to make it a more permanent hinge.. all in all, i like these the most.. just personal, i guess..

a big plus is for the rear-fan (antec tri-cool, max 77cfm specified).. very quiet compared to my other fans.. even on high.. on low, can't even hear it from 30cm.. also, the back panel is made in auch a way that watercooling is very possible.. lots of space in this case..

the grills are pretty good too.. not like wire-grills, but close.. i can't phisically sense any air being reflected.. as it happened with the older case, before cutting began..

in the front there is another spot for a 120mm fan, but this one is with a plasticbracket.. so if u want to install something else, be creative first and have a dremel.. as i can see, only 25mm thick fans can be installed.. also, the fan does provdide decent cooling to the hdd..

speaking of which.. this is the removable hard drive cage.. 1 latch, 1 thumb-screw.. and rubber grommets.. that work! using antec's big-headed screws ant the grommets does make for less vibration.. nice..

what me (and my room mates) like is the floppy-cage.. it has a very nice latch-mechanism, that works flawlessly.. and a nice feel when put in position.. i had a bit of trouble putting the hdd cage back in, but playing with this one was a .. snap!

u can see the spring mechanism used.. ingenoius and quite robust..

hdd cage removed.. 5 disks can go here, but cooling will be sacrificed.. i say 3 hdds max 4 good temps...

the thing for the 120mm fan in the front.. it's easy to install a fan here, but i am afraid this could brake... plus, and it might be just me, but a fan put here is noisier than a fan in another place.. maybe the plastic transfers and amplifies vibrations...

front nudity pretty well thought out, but what i don't like is the non-centered 120 fan.. this will prove more difficult to mod..

these things will be ripped out in a few secs.. they allow airflow, but c'mon..o, i must mention that the case is not sharp at all.. very carefully made..

front and rear grills... both could end up cut away for more flow, but i don't know...

D'Oh

front ports.. just 2x usb here.. BUT what i like.. there are 3 leds for hdd activity.. i don't have a mobo with 3 headers, but i could use them for lan and/or dvd-rw activity...

as a side note, there were some problems with the usb ports.. older versions of this case and others had usb1.1 ports only.. that didn't work at all.. they have some small chip here and a capacitor.. i don't know why they use these... i have usb ports that are simply a bunch of wires and the metal end.. and they work.. well, mine work fine and at usb2.0 speed...

lots of wires, long enough for a stealthy install... too bad they are not sleeved.. i'll have to do that later.. nice though that there is a zip mount that keeps them running in an orderly fashion..

the back i/o plate comes mounted with 2 screws.. unfortunatelly, my mobo has a different layout, so the i/o panel went back in the huge box the case came in..

case front stripped of the metal surplus...

this is the cpu duct, if u need cool air for the cpu..

the duct, all shrivelled..

..it's nice, but lacks the option of positioning it in the XY axis on the panel.. it's stcuk with 4 screws ant that's it.. if the cpu is positioned in a more exotic place than this duct allows, then u can't use it at max efficiency..

i like the badge too... no other comment..

Preping for install...

i/o cover removed..

space for my mobo..

pack of screws.. plus a zip tie..

like i said, lots of them.. more than i need..

..me mounting the hard drive..

optical drives use these rails.. u install them with the latch in the front of the drive.. they are quite good, but u still need a screwdriver for putting them on.. after that, u get a nice click

dvd mounted.. (oh, this is the new one with the old ones face )

system installed, take 1..

lots of room to work in...

not everything was mounted, and for a reason.. seems i forgot to check if the psu can go in tru the space above the mobo... dang, so i had to take off everything(temporarily.. i dind't undo the connections, just had a friend lift the mobo a lil').. and i inserted the psu tru the front 5,25 openings..

system fully installed... CCFL added too.. his twin is dead in the closet ac ryan makes nice tubes, but without a titanium shell..

D'Oh

shot of front.. i still don't like the uncentered fan.. but they made things this way.. there is a lot of room behind the hdds..say for a pump..

system back in it's place.. near the window.. running niiiice

leds work from the first try :p

So, except for the slightly higher temps.. which are coming down as sun goes down, i like the case.. much more roomy than the cheap noname..

Next to buy is an antec Smartpower 500... and maybe mod the front just an ideea... not sure yet.. it's such a nice case.. the mod must be nicer.. and keep the overall sleek look..

????

D'Oh

more pics... i made some with the lights on

i'm happy... i think i'm gonna go study a lil...

D'Oh

hi, back again... time for a small update:

i bought an ati silencer, no2. installed it realllly quiet the old one has been taken apart to study it and take some measurements...

my phone utility died... it refuses to respond... maybe it doesn't like windows media center... therefore, pics are stuck in phone...

also, i cleaned up a pc last night: cable management lite, cleaned heatsink, removed cvasi-toast video board, mounted 2x120mm fans.. got it from 73 degrees centigrade idle to 49, with that darn stock intel HSF.. could have done more, but not in the aloted time... i got some stuff for that:

2x 120mm wire-grills
    1x PFC coil assembly.. or 48v transformer?!
    1x riva tnt2 m64 w/32MB sdr.... any idea what to do with them???

nice things, right? :p

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Great work.