Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 way sli?

Default 3 way sli?

i dont know if this has been posted before or not, but i just got an email from Nvidia stating that their new 780i chipset will have not 2 but 3 way sli? anyone else heard about this? sounds pretty kickass to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: 3 way sli?

Its the only way you can run Crysis on Full Settings at High Res:

Bit-Tech Tri-SLI Review.

Personally, I think that Tri-SLI is retarded-but for only one reason: the only cards supported are $500+ GTXs and Ultras. (At a minimum) who's gonna spend $1500 on graphics cards!? If they made 8800GTs Tri-SLI compatible then that would make sense: $250 x 3 = $750. $750 isn't too bad for the amount of performance you'll get.

Surprisingly though, the drivers work real nice and it wasn't like that whole "Quad-SLI" fiasco.

I got one question though: will the upcoming 8850GX2 (7950GX2s successor and competition to ATI's HD3870X2) be Tri-SLI?

-Indybird

i was going to make a thread on this but once i read about it (780i) i decided it wasn't good enough for a thread.

i would/will wait for the 790i when the fully redesign the board and have all 3 slots pcie 2.0 and not just two.

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    Its the only way you can run Crysis on Full Settings at High Res:

Bit-Tech Tri-SLI Review.

Personally, I think that Tri-SLI is retarded-but for only one reason: the only cards supported are $500+ GTXs and Ultras. (At a minimum) who's gonna spend $1500 on graphics cards!? If they made 8800GTs Tri-SLI compatible then that would make sense: $250 x 3 = $750. $750 isn't too bad for the amount of performance you'll get.

Surprisingly though, the drivers work real nice and it wasn't like that whole "Quad-SLI" fiasco.

I got one question though: will the upcoming 8850GX2 (7950GX2s successor and competition to ATI's HD3870X2) be Tri-SLI?

-Indybird
    won't that be 6 cards then?!!?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I notice no one mentioned quad Crossfire... The presentation leads me to believe any crossfire cappable card will work in quad mode with all lanes at 16x.

Asus m3a32-mvp with the 790fx chipset
    http://event.asus.com/mb/m3a/index.htm

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Tri Sli isn't that great at the moment as the three PCI-E lanes are knocked down to 8x and bottle necks also occur in the Northbridge. The main problem is having a powerful enough processor to feed the beast.

All the heat coming of 3 cards jammed together would be huge. Also you would need a beefy PSU to.

Either this is something they will play around with and then leave it alone or it will mature into something great.
    Need a sig

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    All the heat coming of 3 cards jammed together would be huge. Also you would need a beefy PSU to.
    Beyond beefy. Each card is drawing what, about 400 watts? That's 1200 watts right there, which if I'm not mistaken is what PSUs top out at.

I'm betting Dual PSUs at a minimum.

But it's still enough to get me to drool!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    Beyond beefy. Each card is drawing what, about 400 watts? That's 1200 watts right there, which if I'm not mistaken is what PSUs top out at.

I'm betting Dual PSUs at a minimum.

But it's still enough to get me to drool!
    Nah there are some 2kw PSU's around.
    Need a sig

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    Either this is something they will play around with and then leave it alone or it will mature into something great.
    I agree; but if it is going to mature at all, they are going to have to make Tri-SLI compatible lower-end cards.

-Indybird

I don't see a point in SLi'ing lower end cards, as I've done sli with cards, and less you get a killer deal on the cards its not worth it.

I find sli useful for those who have the money to drop on high end parts. To many people try building a pc for 600$ and then trying to go sli with low end cards. Just not worth it.

Less you game on 1024x768, its not worth sli'ing low end cards, as a higher end card would do much better anywho.

But for rich people, Tri-sli will make some killer rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    I don't see a point in SLi'ing lower end cards, as I've done sli with cards, and less you get a killer deal on the cards its not worth it.

I find sli useful for those who have the money to drop on high end parts. To many people try building a pc for 600$ and then trying to go sli with low end cards. Just not worth it.

Less you game on 1024x768, its not worth sli'ing low end cards, as a higher end card would do much better anywho.

But for rich people, Tri-sli will make some killer rigs.
    When I said "lower-end" I more meant to say mid-range and higher cards. If that supported cards like the 8800GT or 8800GTS (new and old) then tri-sli would be an instant hit. In addition, with cards like the 8800GT, you'll actually have some open slots on your motherboard and case when you go Tri-SLI!

-Indybird