Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get laptop parts?

Default Where can I get laptop parts?

I myself personally don't care for laptops, but I suppose I oculd use one once I start classes. I know you can get laptop parts and all of that, just like with desktops. I'm just not sure where though. I have seen places before. Anyone have any links?

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Default Re: Where can I get laptop parts?

Depends on what you are looking for. Stores like microcenter and frys have laptop memory and hard drives. Newegg has stuff to upgrade your laptop also. Depends what you are looking to do with it.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

is there a particular brand or model you need parts for? if i have that info i can probably point you to a supplier. i fix alot of notebooks here at work.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Well I'm not fully sure. I know I've seen at least one link before to an online supplier where everything could be purchased. As for brand, I'm not looking for an overall brand of computer manufacturer, if that's what you mean. But rather brands like Asus for the motherboard, or eVGA for the video card, and Intel for the processor.

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

so your trying to build it from scratch? Or replace existing hardware with newer/better stuff?

I came, I saw, I conquered killergamer's Avatar

Im kinda looking in to do the same thing as him but from scratch. Thats if I get the job I applied for today!!! Ohh Yea cant wait!

Quote Originally Posted by D1337 View Post
    so your trying to build it from scratch? Or replace existing hardware with newer/better stuff?
    The former. I know it can be done, it's just a lot more rare of a thing than getting desktop parts.

You are going to have to pick a brand. Motherboards & video cards are built for specific make and model of laptop. You can buy them separate but you'll have to look, hard. If the PCMCIA isn't built into the laptop that'll be something else to track down. You will also have to fab up a case on your own or buy replacement parts meant for the make and model of motherboard you went with. Drives are pretty generic. Ram is easy. You will have to be careful when buying an LCD. It will probably have to be LVDS, seems to be the most common. Often it is proprietary to the make and model of motherboard. The keyboard will also have to be unique to the make and model of case and motherboard, same goes for touchpad or trackpoint. The batteries are not universal. It will have to mate up to the case you decided on. Depending on how handy you are you could fab together a permanent internal battery.

Can it be done? Sure? Is it easy, only the assembly, sourcing the parts will be an exercise.

I've lost the bookmark, but there are at least a couple of companies that offer generic "beige box" laptops. You'll have to make compromises though, looks weight, performance.

Certainly not trying to discourage anyone, but myself and numerous others have been down this path.

There is at least one guy who used a micro-itx motherboard, which simplified choosing the other parts. He has been on several forums, quite possibly even this one.

Good luck!

JM

I don't mind if it's hard. I don't mind soldering together something or even building my own case out of aluminum. I know it's going to be a challenge. I don't start classes until January 22nd though, so I still have time. I also like doing big projects, expecially ones that require a lot of thinking. I'm willing to give it a try. I also know that I've seen at least one site linked on here before where you could buy individual parts.

I've actually just managed to find a few guides myself on how to build your own laptop.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

ya this is a little diffrent then what i thought you were trying to do. its one thing to get replacement parts but to go out and buy random parts and try to make sure everything will work togeather and that connectors are pinned out correctly and all that is going to be an absolutely HUGE pain in the butt. im pretty experianced with laptop parts as i mentioned before and this is something that i wouldent even want to undertake. if you can do it totaly make a worklog and you will definately get rep points from me.

personaly i would pick a laptop and then build a new case arround it but if you really want to go through the hassle more power to ya.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.