Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Phase 2 Casemodding

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Phase 2 Casemodding

No problem mate, thanks for the rep. I really need to get myself a scroll saw so I can make some nice custom pieces for myself. The jigsaw is too cumbersome.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

if we lived closer you could borrow mine

no prob i like this mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

It has been quiet in this topic for a while, because I dedicated most of my attention to Cubeleon. That case was done for 99% in November, but it wasn't in time for the big competition. I has been lying around on the attic since then. I will finish it in time, but right now I'm still not feeling like it.

The reason for kicking this topic is that I made three trophies for our casemodding contest over at www.bouweenpc.nl. Our contestants had to mod a computer part in every round, and only six would make it to the final. Last weekend we had a big stand at Energy Lan, a local lan party for ~200 persons, and that's where people could vote for their favorites. Unfortunately only four of the contestants made it to the lan, and three of them got a hand made trophy

It all started with a base plate, made out of 10mm plexi:

Taped them together for easy drilling:

It's a little hard to see, but I put some pieces of plexi round bar into the holes, and used them as feet:

The vertical piece is made out of 5mm plexi:

Every trophy needs a number, so I made some out of red plexi. The number 1 was easy to draw in SolidWorks, so I could print it and cut it out:

The two and three were a little more difficult, so I printed out some rectangles and drew some nice number:

The three was very nice, it took a little more time to get the 2 right:

Glued them on, and they look fantastic The only drawback was that the white was caused byt the protective plastic, and it disappeared when I took it off. It made me want to do something with white plexi, so stay tuned

For gluing, I used some angle bars and clamps:

To make the design stand out some more, I cut some pieces of tubing:

The trophy needs a plaque of course, but engraving that myself didn't really work out great

So I got a company to do it:

To go with the black engraved plaques, I made some rectangles out of red plexi:

All of the parts are mounted on this picture. As you can see, the two plates cover up the feet, which makes it a little nicer again:

And I guess this would be the end result :hehe: I had to use the flash, which explanes the big shadows in the back. If you look closely, you can see the reflection of the engraving in the back red piece, that became on of the nicest effects on the trophies

The end results of the contest

The first price went to Frenkie, with his Command & Conquer GDI Base Station:

Flythe became second with his third water cooled creation in a row:

Chatlie got hold of the third place, with his green casemod. In the front, you can see his mods for the first two rounds, a modded dvd player and a power supply:

Jeroenotje came in fourth, his last creation wasn't as good as his two previous ones. Again the dvd player mod and PSU mod on the pic:

We had a lot of prices to give away, including cases from Cooler Master and Ikonik, coolers from Xigmatek and Noctua, several power supplies and AC Ryan Boomboxes Frenkie walked away with about 400 euros worth of prices, and the other contestants also had a box full.

Right now I would like to thank all of the contestants and the sponsors, for making a great competition possible We will do another compo this year probably, so take a look at http://www.bouweenpc.nl every now and then

My casemodding company: Brink of Modding
    My current work log: miXture
    Reservoirs and more:Phase 2 casemodding

Those trophies look really slick as do the mods.

Today was just another day like any other day. Until I went on my daily trip to Bit-tech, where I saw one of my own pictures on the front page! I was surprised to find out that I had been nominated for this month's Mod Of The Month. It was a dream coming true, just being nominated is a big honor for me.

Lambda
    While I was working on the three trophies, I had another project to finish before last weekend. Frenkie contacted me a few months ago, if I could make him a reservoir. Well of course I can At first he wanted a very straightforward res, but I wanted to make it stand out more so I designed a nice divider. Now it matches the theme nicely

Once again, I began drawing out the design using CAD. Lucky for me, the lambda is fairly easy to draw, so I could print it and stick it to the plexi. The main goal was to make the connections to the letter as small as possible, so I made them just 2mm wide:

We went for brown clear plexi for the divider to match the design of the case:

Cutting a piece of tubing was very little work compared to the divider. It's a tiny res by the way, the tube is just 50mm in diameter and 100mm high.:

I'm using spray glue for all of my mods, so I went through a whole can already. I went for the upgrade this time

I really needed the glue for the two end pieces. Because of the extruding process, the tube is not totally round. Fortunately for me, SolidWorks knows how to draw an ellipsoid that matched the shape of the tube perfectly. Then it was just gluing and cutting (it's getting boring, I know ).

Not a lot of parts this time, so here are the final pics already All of the parts are glued together now, the lambda is glued to the bottom with a little drop of glue.

It looks very different once the water is in, but it still looks hot

In this project, I really like the fact that someone asked me to make something for em, so I'm planning to do that a few more times. So if you want me to make you a res (or something different, a fan grill for example ), just let me know. You'll still have to wait for a few months for the mod where this res will be used in, but I'm sure Frenkie will make something special See you soon!

Congratz on the MOTM nomination mate, you deserve it, as do the rest of the contestants. Very cool res you have there. I never thought of making something like that.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

yeah thats really neat man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Thanks guys

Fresh Paint

Brilliant!

Love your work
    The Cutting edge of modding, is on the end of your Dremmel

nice looking man maybe its tru maybe dutch people have modding blood in them there veins
    Im Dutch... can i say anything else?!?