Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Phase 2 Casemodding

Default Re: Phase 2 Casemodding

Right, here I am again. For the past two years, all of my time has gone to my master mechanical engineering. This doesn't really leave space for things like vacations, it just keeps on going. That's why I haven't really done anything else for the past years, and I don't like that. I have to keep drawing, designing and fabricating, or my mood will suffer.

A few months back, in April, me and _ferry_ went to Madrid to visit Campus Party Europe. The organization invited us to represent the Dutch casemodders, of course we said yes. The event was really cool and we met a lot of casemodders that walk around here, like Phinix and p0Pe. There were also a lot of quiet moments though, in one of which I proved the quadratic equation Also, I designed about a handful of reservoirs, this one is called Reflow:

The design of the first piece of acrylic, on Spanish paper:

In the past years I have collected a huge amount of acrylic, so I could just grab a piece of 20mm thick out of a big sheet:

The design was transfered to the block of arylic, after which I just started drilling the toughest set of holes. They are 12mm in diameter, and about 50mm deep. Lubrication and a lot of clamping was necessary to get this far:

The two holes at the top are for filling and removing the air from the loop, although their placement is not ideal

This is the back of that same piece. As you can see, the holes from the bottom only go to one of the sides. I'll show you later what those holes are for

Hmm ok, you may notice it a little early. I need two pieces tubes, 60mm in diameter, nicely cut and sanded to be as straight as possible:

From orange acrylic I will be fabricating two end plates. The color has nothing to do with football, it's just a nice color that I still have a lot of

With a little help from the belt sander I was able to sand them perfectly round. I will soon glue them to the tubes, once they're sanded and polished. You just have to wait a little, I will post that soon

My casemodding company: Brink of Modding
    My current work log: miXture
    Reservoirs and more:Phase 2 casemodding

yay! more work!

Should be interesting mate!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Awesome, I really do just love sitting back and watching you work brinkz0r.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Any updates? I'm learning so much from these scratch res builds!!!
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Not yet, I'll try to work some more on this res this week, hopefully even today

Reflow, update 1

The last post ended with me cutting the end caps out of orange acrylic, and once they were cut they needed to be sanded and polished. This is what I need to do that, a drill press, a cotton wheel and a chunk of polishing paste:

This goes way better than doing all that by hand. It just took me a few minutes to get all of the scratches made by the sandpaper out.

For once I immediately took off the protective paper and glued them to the tubes to take a good look at them

After making this picture, I applied new protective tape by the way, I don't feel like sanding the whole thing again to remove a scratch

For the reflow part of this thing, I need this piece of acrylic tube that should go through the thick piece of acrylic:

Since I finally had my vile back (my brother took it somewhere else and didn't bring it back down), I was able to widen the hole in the acrylic:

The bottom of the reservoir now has four holes, two are tapped at M4 for mounting the thing to a case, and two are tapped at G1/4". I clamped the piece between two pieces of 'wood' (MDF ) because of the stress exerted by the tap. The thing is so big that it doesn't even fit my tap wrench, so I need to use a normal 10mm wrench.

The ones that took a good look at all of the lines drawn on the thick piece could have known what is about to happen. I will cut two big chunks off the thing, the problem was that I didn't know how. The jigsaw makes the 20mm acrylic melt, so that would be my last option.

So I decided to give it a try with my new tool that I bought with my birthday money and then some more :p It is a Fein Multimaster, an oscillating tool that will eat its way through about anything I had to choose between this tool and an angle grinder and chose this one because it's probably more versatile and better controllable.

When you flip the handle, you can pull out the bolt at the bottom, put in a new tool and click it back in. Very fast en easy:

A little test showed that this piece of machinery also wasn't able to nicely cut through acrylic this thick, it works very well on thinner material. For a minute I forgot that this machine also moved very fast and also creates a lot of friction, so it also melts the acrylic. So I thought: "what would Cade Courtly do?" He told me he would just cut it by hand. So I did, my saw also had a 15 degree setting that was ideal for the plans that I had:

After about 15 minutes, the block looks like this:

And with that cliffhanger I will end this update, but not after I've said this:

I will be making a few of these!

Not by hand fortunately, the parts will be cut by laser and assembled by me. If you are interested in one (doesn't need to be yellow, I can use other colors), please contact me

Reflow, final update

The design needed a few more orange accents, and since the hole on the top was a little off, I didn't want to accentuate that So I decided to place two orange pieces on the sides. Here they are, polished an all:

Applying the glue, placing on the big block and applying pressure for a little while:

Once they were attached to the block, I shortened them by hand with a file. Because I wanted all of the sides to shine, I sanded it down with 60, 280 and 400 grit and polished it on the drill press

Once you are attaching the finished parts to the assembly, you want to see the end result so I just kept working. These are the final pictures of Reflow, my fifth reservoir

I'd like to hear what you think of it How perfect it may seem on these pictures, to me it's not. There are some cracks here and there in the big chunk of acrylic, after I sanded the surfaces and then used acetone of alcohol to clean it. So I made a mental note of that, acetone doesn't help to clean a surface up, it just ruins it.

The bright side is that this was the most intricate piece of thick acrylic that I made, so perfection wasn't lurking around the corner. I've learned a lot of building it, I hope you've learned something by watching me build it See you next time!

Very cool design. Not what I was imagining when I first looked at what you had drawn on the center block.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Two very nice designs. I really like the first design, would also look great with a dark blue instead of the yellow I think .
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Thanks dude I will probably offer four stock options, yellow, blue, red and white. I someone wants another color, that should also be possible for another price.