Thread: switching mobo advice please

ATX Mental Case

Default switching mobo advice please

So i want to upgrade my mobo. I've done it in the past but have always had to reinstall windows after switching. I have a lot of startup programs that use verry little mem and i really don't want to reinstall and have to start from scratch as far as upgrading the vid card, reinstalling all the startup programs, yadda yadda yadda... Is there an easier way to switch mobos without having to reinstall things all over again?
    Should i install the software to the new mobo, turn off pc, switch to the new mobo, then start it up again? (i never tried it cause i was affraid that there would be some software conflicts)
    It is such a pain to keep upgrading windows and drivers and bears, oh my...

Thanx for any advice in advance.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: switching mobo advice please

I have upgraded my motherboard before and didn't have to reinstall anything. The only thing that you should have to install, software-wise are the drivers. Other than that, take out the old one, put in the new one, and you should be good to go. Just make sure to match up your compatibility, otherwise you wont be able to use some of your components.
    Thoughts become words, words become actions, actions become habits, habits become character, character becomes destiny...

Water Cooled

I have seen problems when you go from one brand chipset to another. For example SiS to nVidia or ATi. Even if you install the new drivers. Of course, this is not an everytime thing. I have just always heard that if you are replacing a mobo, it is always wisest, thought not mandatory, to reinstall everything.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Case Wizard

changing out a mobo for one that is the same type should be easy to do. Once you change mobos like Zeus said you start to run into driver issues and other problems.

Reason to do a fresh install is to make sure the machine is running well. If you just do and re-isntall other drivers over the old IDE drivers. Then windows will load both versions and try and figure out which version works better and it can get ugly some times.

If you dont like re-installing games or programs .. most are smart enough now that if you put them on a 2nd HD and use C only for the OS. You spend 2 mins re-installing the game and not 20-30mins. But you still need to rebuild the OS drive when you upgrade.

ATX Mental Case

That's probably why I had no problems in my upgrade. It was and ASUS to ASUS with the same manufacturer of north bridge.
    Thoughts become words, words become actions, actions become habits, habits become character, character becomes destiny...

One thing to add. onbord sound on an asrock mobo realy sucks. the sound is good but i cant get it to make much noise. when playing a game i cant hear it over my fans at times. not sure this has anything to do with what your asking but o well :p