Thread: Need a little help here...

Fresh Paint

Exclamation Need a little help here...

My unit crashes almost every time I play Far Cry, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament, or House of the Dead 2 for more than a few minutes. Problem is, its only the video card that crashes. Sound still plays, and the game goes on in the background. I have but don't use Rage 3d tweak, and the crashes are randomized in that they are at different points in time. 5 minutes, an hour, sometimes three hours.... any suggestions?
    Amd Athlon64 3400+ @2.2 Ghz
    ATI Radeon Pro 128 Mb
    1 Gig Corsair DDR RAM
    Chaintech Motherboard
    Whoever holds the smoking gun probably has *no* idea what happened and is completely innocent.

Water Cooled

Default Re: Need a little help here...

maybe the vid card is overheating. Do you have another vid card you can try for testing purposes?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Last time I saw that problem it turned out the video card fan had gotten unplugged.

Water Cooled

You know, one way to find out if your vid card is overheating, is to place a regular deskfan blowing right on your vid card. (obviously, you want the side panel removed) If it takes longer to die, then it is temp related. If it doesn't, may want to look for other possibilties.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Fresh Paint

I only have an Nvidia 16 mb spare, the fan works, and I'll try the deskfan idea. Thanks. I also have 6 60 mm fans blowing through, and the in/out flow is right, but im thinking the agp speed is too high.
    Whoever holds the smoking gun probably has *no* idea what happened and is completely innocent.

get rivatuner (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163) and log your GPU temperatures while playing. if it gets really really high (like 90+*C), then that's your problem

That happened to me a couple of times, and maybe one of the solutions might be to update de Video Drivers Katalyst and stuff like that.
    "I mod therefore I am"