Thread: Well sadly, one of my fish didn't make it

Default Well sadly, one of my fish didn't make it

It was the spotted goldfish. I just checked on them, and he has like fuzzy stuff on him or something, and his gills look sort of red inside, and he keeps rolling onto his side. The black moor still seems to be alright though. I'm going to replace the filter and change the water and hope that the black moor stays well.

Default Re: Well sadly, one of my fish didn't make it

sucks, thats why i now stay away from any type of goldfish, well i stay away from them all and i will keep my current 2 until they die.

not sure how they are but i saw some clear/glass/ghost catfish at a big al's fish store. they were about the same length as your current fish but skinny and narrow.

i was just reading about them and they like plants and to be in schools, so i would get maybe 4 or more of them.

here is a picture

and to ironcat should he stumble upon this. how many of the live feeder guppies should i get for my shark and ghost knife? can i get like a dozen and leave the fish alone for a couple of days or a week?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Yup, that's exactly what you do...
    Put a dozen in and leave them alone (guppies are also some seriously hardy fish, I have never ever acclimated a guppy, and I have never ever had one die of system shock.)...
    A dozen guppies will probably last around a week. The slow and fat and stupid ones will be gone right away but the others will figure out what's going on and try to hide.
    When they are all gone, wait a week or so before you bring anymore home, they are supposed to be a treat, not a staple.

Remember that they are live fish also (at least at the beginning) so the more of them there are, or the longer they stay, the more your filtration needs to work.

* Note * SOME people (but not me) claim that introducing your fish to live food will bring out their inner aggression and blah blah blah, but not only do I think that's a crock, yours have been coexisting nicely till now, so a nice fish dinner isn't going to change them into Sweeny Todd.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

i can definitely see where there coming from when they say that, but as you said if they've been fine so far i doubt live food will do anything.

+rep btw for all the help
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Every time I introduce fish into my tank my Betta tries to make them live food. It is his space and he will fight for it. Thats why i had to get another 10 gallon tank. So I could have some community fish.

He is very friendly to me though. Everytime I am cleaning the tank and rearranging he always comes up to my hand and trys to rub against me. I dont like him to do this because that is not good for his natural slime coating (kind of like a immune system).

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Okay, firstly your fishes gills SHOULD be red inside, bright blood red, this means they are effectively passing O2.
    If the fuzzy fish is still around, try a quick dip in salt water...

I am not an expert in fish disease but here's a couple of good links for goldfish ailments.

LINK
    LINK 2

Unfortunately, your tank is so small that by the time any disease reached the point where you could see it, both fish were almost certainly affected.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, my fish kept rolling onto its side, and had stuff all over it. My dad was going to take care of it for me, but didn't, and now it's better. It's lively and looks healthy and has nothing on it anymore. Today I changed a portion of the water, about a gallon.

I'm going to change the filter as soon as I can, and I need to clean out the bototm. what can I do to clean out the bottom of the tank?

when u get filters get this style of gravel cleaner.

hell you could even make one, just make sure the plastic is safe for fish. i do that when i change the water. i start with that and once its pretty clean i start taking the water out.

You guys should be happy to know I was responsible today. I changd a part of the water again, added a new filter, bought a syphon and vacuumed out a ton of **** that was sitting on the bottom, and got some stuff that'll help everything collect to the bottom more for easy cleaning next time. Both fish are alive and well right now.

I'm not an expert in aquarium, but in the last 6 months I've gone from complete nooby to 3 aquariums with "still living fishes".

the following links are products I use to keep the water clear. a little of both every week.
    Product 1
    product 2

+ I remove about 1 gallon every two days and replace it with fresh water.

and finally I have 1 of those in every tank
    Link
    Those fishs are cleaning rocks and plants in the aquarium, keeping the water clear.

But to make sure the tank is always clear: change the water every two months, and clean the filters.

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast