View Poll Results: Do you enable v-sync?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 33.33%
  • No

12 66.67%

Thread: Do you enable Vertical Sync?

Overclocked

Default Do you enable Vertical Sync?

It's been floating around in my head for a long time; how many of you actually use v-sync? Personally, I can't stand playing a game with tearing. Unfortunatley, I get a pretty big hit in performance if I enable it, especially in HL2. However, I have recently found a workaround: I am still using a CRT monitor (Dell M770 19"), but if I max out the refresh rate to 75hz, the tearing in HL2 is hardly noticeable, and I gain an average of 25fps with my 6600GT rig.
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+@2.2Ghz | Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250Gb | ASUS 6600GT 256MB |1GB Kingston ValueRAM

Anodized

Default Re: Do you enable Vertical Sync?

hmm I'm not to sure what Vertical Sync is prolly because I've never played HL2. =X!! sorry guy not much for shoot em ups. but I saw what you said about CRT and had to comment. Your acutly better off useing one for gameing they are faster and the colors are crisper. on the down side there a bulky pain in the butt and if you use battery back up they will prolly drain it in about 15 mins. then again you might just be saying your crt is old and I just made a butt outa myself XD
    Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

Fresh Paint

On the contrary, (yeah, I jacked this thread. sue me.) You don't need a CRT for gaming anymore. New LCD monitors have lower response time than even CRTs. Samsung and Sony have 8ms response times black->white->black, and real transitions are much shorter that. CRT's are at a standard 10-12ms. any color transition is 10ms... As far as color quality goes, I like the LCD's better, just because the dark areas are darker. I've got a 19" Samsung (930B) with a 8ms response time and a 700:1 contrast ratio. I watch movies and play simple games (warcraft, diabloII, etc...) and I don't have any difficultieswith 'ghosting.'

Anodized

hehe guess I'll have to look in to my monitors a bit better. Still I'd much rather pay 80 dollors for a 19" crt then a 200-400 for a 19" flat screen. I some times see 17" for 150 but I don't normaly see them lower then that.
    Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

Actually theres an LCD with a 3 ms response time for about $3003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116359

Thumbs up Re: Do you enable Vertical Sync?

LCD's are ok. ive played one some and i dont notice a dif. the CRT i have at home even has some ghosting problums. and the guy that said that he never noticed it cuz he dont have HL2 it happins in all the 3d games that have a lot going on at one time.