Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PeRs-pLeXeD!

Default PeRs-pLeXeD!

Hey guys!

i was going to post this in the galleries section... but i guess while finished for now its still got a few things i'd like to change so its an on-going project still

This is just a quicky weekender mod while i toy with ideas for HPR3

ive had a ton of old green plex laying around for a while... and always had the idea to do oOoOZ type case theme.

the orig idea was to do this mod on a standard metal case, but since i had a EX shop display Clear case laying around i thought why not!

I also had 5 x Green UV 120 and 80mm fans that were donated buy X-Com a while back so it would be great to finally put these to good use!

A custom made Defyant style mega res was also sitting on the shelf with no home...the green theme of this res would also be perfect !

This Case PeRs-pLeXeD ! will be first of a 3 in this series of qik weekender mods.

The seconed Will Be "Flamed" and the third will be "Shocked" and both of these will done in a similar method using orange flames and blue/purple bolts of lightening.

anyways heres how it started yesterday.......

Sitting @ the end of the bench.... simply throwing on the res and 2 fans! the mod was half done

I thought id set it up for a couple of proper shots to get a better feel for the mod.

UV was going to be an imprtant light source for this mod and testing with a single light i could see that this was indeed goin to look pretty cool.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 02:45 AM.

Default Re: PeRs-pLeXeD!

The next part and main feature of this mod will be creating the "oOoZ" from UV green plex.

A very simple pattern is marked out on 3.5mm green plex cut!

Using a spare case the oOoZ is bent over the edge! this will give the effect its running down the side of the case!

For the mother board side of the case, a simple sPLat is made

and to add to its effect some smaller spray drops are cut sanded and added

To keep the theme going inside the same is reapeated on the floor and a "sPLaT" will be added as a "sortof" motherboard cover!

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Some more work is done to the Top oOoz and a top fan duct is cut with some smaller themed type holes.

its placed back on for to make sure allstill fits well

and a qick test with some UV

The front of the case will need to be cut to allow the fitting of 2 x 120mm UV coolermasters, which will supply air to a dual 120 rad for the watercooling.

A section is cut of of the original front panel and a new support bracket is made for the dual 120's

A rear Green back panel is added for contrast.

The edge of the new front facia support is routed smooth as is the inner holes for a cleaner look

Next is to frill countersunk type holes for the fan support bolts.

Steinless M5 Hex Head bolts are used

Next is "Fire" polish the edges all nice and clear again .

Assembled with the fans and bolts.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 02:52 AM.

DAY 2

Got a late start today but as promised i was still keen to knock this mod over in a weekend.

first thing to start the day off with was some painting i decided that i didn't want to "flood" the inside with green! so to keep the inside of the case uniform ive gone with matt black.

The psu, water blocks , pump and Cdrom are prepped and painted. The CPU loom is covered using black flex cover... again..not wanting this to be a "feature" black is best used here as well.

This will allow the internal Green cover and water tubes to become the main internal features.

The first mod of the day after painting was to Relocate the power/reset and activity leds. Due to the adding of the Dual 120's, the original area where these were was cut away.

I little but of carefull drilling and tapping now has the buttons/leds replaced over to the side of the case.

Next was to design a motherboard cover! YES! the good old motherboard cover like my tanks these are becomming a bit of a trade mark...but i got to have a bit of fun with this one and a less techinical but well themed cover was on the cards.

To attach the cover holes are drilled in the far corners. To give some flexability gromets are added

A long scew with a perspex 22mm spacer isused to suspend the cover above the motherboard.

The cover is then bolted in using the old board locating risers.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Time to add the previously painted and cabled PSU, i also decided to add some UV green molex ends i'd had left over from an old mod.

Next was time to add the water blocks.This is an old Jarron Water block ive had laying around for while...a custom 10mm plex plate bracket was fab'd up and used for this mod.

A Swiftech GPU block is used to take care of GPU cooling

2 hose holes are added to the rear for the external res hoses to pass thru.

The Swiftech MPC600 pump is bolted in

all hoses are connected

The system is filled with the usual suspects!

Pump is run for a while to bleed the system and the res is snapped back onto the top of the case

Internals are wired up and checked

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Time to fire it up , stand back and take a few shots!

Time to switch some lights off

With some UV lighting!!!

Well i got it done in a weekend! altho i didn't rush the case...i still feel theres a few things i'd like to change.

Cheers guys.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 03:07 AM.

thats real sharp

D'Oh

ok... conclusion: the right tools, the right materials... but most importantly: the right man. you are the grand master of plex! you make this look not easy, efortless... wow

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Anodized

SWEET!!! Can't wait to see the others in this series!!!

Water Cooled

very nice work. look forward to your future products
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown