Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Domain name help

Default Re: Domain name help

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    Thanks AirBozo. I will look into them. I stilll haven't bought the space so you came just in time.
    A few questions...
    What did you use to design/manage your website and do you know if you can use whatever you want or do you have to use the programs they give you?
    Also I was just looking around the e-mail and it looked like you had to use @blewhost.com on the end of your website name. Is this true or can you use your sites name at the end?
    Thanks.

@SgtM: I live in Avon. Its about halfway between Cleveland and Sandusky.
    I currently do not have any sort of site up yet. Got tired of updating it years ago and let it die. I only use it for email, storage and testing now.

If you have your own domain name, you will not have to add bluehost to the end. All of my domains are hosted on bluehost.com. None of them have any content anymore, they are just mail servers now. (without the headache of actually running the mail server)

You can use whatever editing package you like, then just upload it to your provided space.

As an odd comparison, check out: www.airbozos.com

Next time I visit Colorado, I will be installing a rivet of my own.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Sweet.

I think I'll probably go with bluehost.com
    ...probably buy it today and get workin on the final design and layout.
    Hopefully I can get most everything running by the end of Monday.
    I have no idea if thats realistic but we'll find out.

Thanks.

From the hosting side, that's totally feasable. It'll take them no more than 5 minutes to create your account, and allocate space and bandwidth. As a matter of fact, if they have things set up like I used to, they have a template based on the packages they offer that will assign everything for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    Sweet.

I think I'll probably go with bluehost.com
    ...probably buy it today and get workin on the final design and layout.
    Hopefully I can get most everything running by the end of Monday.
    I have no idea if thats realistic but we'll find out.

Thanks.
    Yeah, that's a perfectly reasonable goal if you aren't hosting it at home.
    RIP Bucko

I just bought the host space.
    I bought it from www.startlogic.com
    They had the best deal and were highly rated.
    I ended up buying a year because all the sites had a set-up fee if you only bought a month at a time.

I like how all of these web hosts are advertising terabyte storage and terabyte data transfer. It's pretty much telling you that it's unmetered, yet when I had my hosting business, and people saw unmetered in my packages, they ran for the hills.

that sucks.
    Did you stop hosting?

Ok so I'm gonna sound like an idiot but I can't even install Joomla.
    I'll tell you what I have done so far...

I downloaded 1.0.14.zip version of Joomla.
    Unzipped it...
    And then used filezilla to ftp it to the root file of my website hosting space (I also tried putting it in the public folder)
    Then I went to my site through the browser and it didn't show up.

The only problem I can think of is that I am running on Windows XP and I used a .zip file while the server is linux-based.

I have no idea if that is the problem or not or even if that could be a problem. I'm just gonna keep looking around.
    If you guys have any suggestions let me know.

I feel dumb.
    haha.

Upload it, THEN unzip it. Then, in your browser, go to http://www.groceries2go.net/installation/index.php and you should be set.

Edit: Also, make sure you put it in the right directory. My root directory is /home/*username*, but browsers look for content in the /home/*username*/public_html directory. THAT is where it needs to be.
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; 01-17-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Upload it, THEN unzip it. Then, in your browser, go to http://www.groceries2go.net/installation/index.php and you should be set.

Edit: Also, make sure you put it in the right directory. My root directory is /home/*username*, but browsers look for content in the /home/*username*/public_html directory. THAT is where it needs to be.
    ^^
    What .Mal said. Also, I visited your site. It's still pointing to godaddy. Did you get everything updated yet? Remember, you'll have to log in to your godaddy account, and point your domain name to your hosts DNS servers.

I'll be on MSN sometime tonight if you want to chat. My S/N is in my profile.

EDIT
    Oh yeah.. I did have to quit the hosting biz. I never got any customers. You can only pay $400/mo for a server for so long before you need to start trying to offset the cost somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM
    It's still pointing to godaddy. Did you get everything updated yet? Remember, you'll have to log in to your godaddy account, and point your domain name to your hosts DNS servers.
    That's the problem (I was wondering why it was still at GoDaddy). Your host has specific DNS servers (nameservers, whatever you'd like to call them) that translate "groceries2go.net" into an IP address, which should be the IP of your server. Since you still have GoDaddy's ns1.godaddy.com and ns2.godaddy.com DNS servers at your domain, it's pointing to the IP of GoDaddy's "This page is parked free..." page. You'll need like, ns1.startlogic.com or something like that.
    RIP Bucko