Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Domain name help

Default Re: Domain name help

hahaha.
    I completely forgot to switch the nameservers.
    Well at least its a simple problem.
    I probably won't get to do a whole lot more to the website until later this evening. I'll let you guys know how it goes though.
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. It was needed.
    haha.

Looks like it's pointing ok now. Transfer all of the Joomla files to the /public_html directory, and you'll be good to go.
    Code:
    H:\>ping www.groceries2go.net

Pinging groceries2go.net [68.178.232.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 68.178.232.100: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=107
    Reply from 68.178.232.100: bytes=32 time=1011ms TTL=107
    Reply from 68.178.232.100: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=107
    Reply from 68.178.232.100: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=107

Ping statistics for 68.178.232.100:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 72ms, Maximum =  1011ms, Average =  309ms

H:\>

I dunno if thats right because I hadn't switched the nameservers until after that post.

But anyways...
    More problems.
    I switched the nameservers that was easy, but now it won't even bring up a page for groceries2go.net. I'm assuming thats because I don't have a default webpage uploaded yet.
    So the way I access the page is by going to groceries2go.startlogic.com. This is also how I access files via FTP. I have never been able to get to the files from the standard groceries2go.net. So when I just type the groceries2go.startlogic.com address into my browser I get a page that says:

Directory has no index file.
    Browsing this site or directory without an index file is prohibited.

If you are the site's webmaster, you can remedy this problem by creating a default HTML page with one of the following names:

* index.html
    * index.htm
    * default.htm
    * Default.htm
    * home.html
    * Home.chtml

I think this is because in my stupidity last night when I was trying to get Joomla to work I screwed up the default files that came on the server. So i looked around and tried to figure it out and found in the utilities at startlogic a thing on how to assign the default webpage via IIS. It gave a page as to where to go but the page didn't work. So I'm stuck there.
    I don't know if I made any sense whatsoever but hopefully you guys can help me out.
    I hate when I have to help someone that doesn't know anything about computers and I feel like that guy right now.
    haha
    sry

a little bit of good news...

The groceries2go.net website is pointing to the right DNS.
    It must have just taken a while for Godaddy.com to update everything.
    If you go to www.groceries2go.net you can see the error message that I was talking about in the prior message.

You aren't using the right site for FTP. To FTP to YOUR home directory, you'll use ftp.groceries2go.net. Just like your email will have your incoming and outgoing servers as mail.groceries2go.net. You should also be able to upload files to your sever using whatever administrator panel you have. I don't remember what you have, but it looked like you could do it. If it confuses you, look into cPanel. That's the server admin panel I'm running, and it's superb.
    RIP Bucko

Ok now I'm using ftp.groceries2go.net for FTPing.
    Its still has all the same files in it though as groceries2go.startlogic.com.
    So I just tried everything over again and I got the same result.
    I'm going to try to restore all the files to default and just start over.

And with the administrator panel I did notice that you can upload stuff using it instead of FTP but its much slower. I'm assuming there is not difference between the two except that(basically). The administrator panel doesn't really confuse but the part where I found in the link in the help section that showed me how to set a default directory doesn't work.
    If I run into a complete dead-end I will try cpanel and see if it helps any.

I'm just gonna try troubleshooting some more and continue to look for tutorials and stuff for that litle Eureka bit that I need.

Thanks again for the help

I just spent some time perusing the Joomla forums and it looks like startlogic.com(my hosting site) may not support Joomla.

If this is the case I will either have to use Dreamweaver or switch hosts.
    Even at that I don't know if startlogic supports dreamweaver.

I'm gonna call startlogic's tech support and see what they have to say.

They will support dreamweaver because thats just a page editor. All the joomla software is server side
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

ok...
    So after sitting for 30+ minutes on hold someone helped me out. He was actually somewhat informative and helpful(wasn't expecting that). And even better he wasn't forieign.

But basically he said that he obviously couldn't help me install Joomla but Startlogic does support it. He said for it to work he had to enable CGI??? But he enabled it, it didn't cost me anything, and supposedly it should work now. He said to wait 15 minutes to make sure the changes he made took affect and then I should be good to go.
    Hopefully that is the case.
    And hopefully enabling CGI wasn't an obvious thing that I should have notice right away.

CGI - Common Gateway Interface. Just a way to connect software with the server. You should be able to install Joomla now, and if not, I really have no idea what's going on.

Don't worry about it being obvious or not, because it wasn't. I don't think you could enable it yourself anyways.
    RIP Bucko