Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Domain name help

Default Re: Domain name help

Finally!!!!
    I got the install to work!
    I haven't moved passed the first page though because I'm trying to resolve the getting everything writable and just those settings. Of course mine aren't the ones that are commonly unwritable, but they are still relatively well documented.
    I'm just gonna search around for the different ones.
    Just in case you guys ran into the same problems I'll list the things I need to fix.

Session Save Path: Unwritable
    I have two things that didn't pass in the security check but it provided a link.
    Display errors should be ON. They are off
    Magic quotes GPC should be on. They are off
    Register Globals should be off. They off on

And all the Directory and File Permissions are writeable so I caught a break there.

It seems odd that all the directory and file permissions are writable but my session save path isn't. I found a few cases where the host service just made a mistake and it really was writable. We'll see if this holds true or not.

You don't need to do anything else. Everything is ok for you to start the install. Just click Next to get to the Lisence page.

In case you wanted to know about the errors...

The first error only pertains the the save path. That's in case you want to save the install and finish later. You don't have a /var directory (I imagine it's /home/*username*/public_html) so that's where it's coming from. It's looking for something that isn't there.

The next set of errors (security checks) are just PHP related things that I wouldn't worry about. If you can continue with the install, it's not that important.

You'll be encountering some (I'm guessing) new stuff pretty soon, like MySQL, so read the tips on the side of the installer. They're very helpful for getting it setup.
    RIP Bucko

Ok.
    I went ahead and just tried to install it.
    I got to the MySQL page, entered the username and password that I had set up at startlogic.com and it said the username and password were incorrect.
    I didn't know what to put for host so I just put "localhost" because it said that was what it probably was.

I haven't really looked into MySQL much yet but I'm burnt out on this for now...
    I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I would maybe call startlogic tomorrow and ask them to confirm or change your sql username/pw. It should be set as the same un/pw that you use to login to their control panel. I'll be on periodically tomorrow if you want help.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    Ok.
    I went ahead and just tried to install it.
    I got to the MySQL page, entered the username and password that I had set up at startlogic.com and it said the username and password were incorrect.
    I didn't know what to put for host so I just put "localhost" because it said that was what it probably was.

I haven't really looked into MySQL much yet but I'm burnt out on this for now...
    I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    You don't have a database yet. Before you install, you need to create the database, and add a user to the database. There are no MySQL users by default, so you need to create a user and add it to the database.

And localhost would be right for this.
    RIP Bucko

Make sure you fix the sessions directory. You'll want to chmod it to 777 (write, write, write)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    Make sure you fix the sessions directory. You'll want to chmod it to 777 (write, write, write)
    That actually doesn't apply to him. On a home based, normal install Linux LAMP, it installs all the regular folders. His server (like mine) doesn't have a /var directory (/var/www is where the site would normally be, but since it's in /home/*username*/public_html, his session path would be /home/username/session_path, which he can't change, and it doesn't exist). As long as he continues the install from start to finish, it's fine.
    RIP Bucko

So...
    I'm still having the same MySQL username and password problem.
    I have tried 4 databases with completely different names, usernames, and password and none of them worked. And there really isn't a whole lot of documentation on solutions.
    I'm starting to get annoyed with this. I dunno if its me or startlogic or Joomla but it seems like there are a lot more problems then there should be. Its probably a combination of them. I will probably spend a lot of today trying to figure this problem out. If I am unable to I think I'll just switch to using dreamweaver and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    So...
    I'm still having the same MySQL username and password problem.
    I have tried 4 databases with completely different names, usernames, and password and none of them worked. And there really isn't a whole lot of documentation on solutions.
    I'm starting to get annoyed with this. I dunno if its me or startlogic or Joomla but it seems like there are a lot more problems then there should be. Its probably a combination of them. I will probably spend a lot of today trying to figure this problem out. If I am unable to I think I'll just switch to using dreamweaver and hope for the best.
    Imagine if you were running this from home .

First, lets start with the database. Create a new database called "groceries2go". When you create the database, it'll add a prefix to the database (probably your Startlogic username). Remember the prefix.

Create a user for the database. Have the user be your name, and enter whatever password you'd like.

Add that user to the database.

Now move onto the install. When you get to the database part of the install, you'll need to fill in what you named the database (groceries2go), the prefix (whatever it gave you), the username (your name) and the password. Leave everything else as it is.

Here's a screenie of how it should end up looking.

RIP Bucko

I can't imagine how hard it is to create a server at home.
    Once I get everything done, I think I will just leave it as is and make minor changes. Its ridiculous. haha.

when I previously created databases it didn't put a prefix in there.
    The database name is just called groceries2go.

I will delete the current one I have.
    make a new one with the instructions you gave me.
    And just add the prefix to the beginning and I'll assume its my startlogic username. I had noticed this being mentioned in the Joomla forums but didn't try it because I didn't see anywhere where my DB name was "groceries2go_groceries2go"
    But its worth a try.

Thanks for the effort you put into this.