Thread: asus eee pc should i buy?

Overclocked

Default asus eee pc should i buy?

i was wondering if i should buy the asus eee pc i mean its cool but what can run on it that my pc cant already do thats the thing.. and i dont do anything with out intrnet lol and i dont travel

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: asus eee pc should i buy?

It doesn't sound like you need it in my opinion. Better save your money for something else.

Actually, just save your money. I don't know how old you are, but I'll tell you what, saving money for when you truly need it will help you in life so immensely. You'll thank yourself everyday for saving up money for a truly rainy day. You never know what life has for you around the corner, its not always something good.

Also, the eepc will only get better as time goes by. It may even get cheaper. By the end of this year, I'll bet it will be ten times better than what it is now.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I would agree with zephik. I've seen several of the asus eee pc's around. At this point they are just a novelty item. I am planning on waiting until they are an actual utility. I've asked several people who have them, and they say its so nice because they can take it anywhere. I already have one of those, its called a laptop. And since I don't have back problems or anything, the laptop isn't a problem to carry around. Just my $.02

If you have the cash, and need a laptop, it's a good deal. If you are brave enough to start modding it, it's loads of fun.

But I agree with the above.. save your money if you dont *NEED* it, it's just going to get better.

I disagree that they are novelty items, and I find that mine is a definite utility item.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Overclocked

i was thinking of doing a touch screen mod on the 8 gig version..

Well, I'm waiting on the touchscreen kits to come back into stock.. everywhere seems to be back ordered, with an unknown time until new stock arrives.

Also, the 4gb model is still really nice as well, and with my 2gb ram upgrade and 16gb flash drive, it's only slightly more expensive than the 8gb.

But there are some things to consider here..
    1. It does not come with XP (provide your own license) and the installation of XP can be difficult if you dont have an external cd/dvd drive.
    2. 7" screen is really small.. working resolution is 800x480, so viewing webpages or documents is a real pain.
    3. The keyboard is tiny, and slightly different than a regular layout, so getting used to typing on it takes a bit of time.
    4. Though some people have had some success playing games on it (including WoW with TONS of tweaking, and very poor framerates, ie: 20fps or less), it's not a very powerful machine. The main benefit is size and weight.
    5. The battery life will fluctuate wildly.. mine has days where it says 5% remaining... and then will work for another hour or so. Sometimes it'll say 25% left, and then only last 10 minutes.

For doing mobile tech work, it's great for me. For surfing and doing school work, the small screen and keyboard are a pain.

Your call..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Greco101

I say only get it if you look at it that light comes on saying "woah, this would be great for what I need!"

Like that feeling you get searching through a drawer of legos looking for that right piece.

Otherwise it's a waste and it will either end up sitting around or being sold.