Thread: Oh ****, my webhost just upgraded my service

Default Oh ****, my webhost just upgraded my service

I just randomly went to this main page, and noticed that their service plan has changed. They now offer 1,500GB of space and 15,000GB of monthly bandwidth. So I just contacted them and now my server has been upgraded

And the price is still the same ^_^

Is awesome

Default Re: Oh ****, my webhost just upgraded my service

whoa, how much of that bandwidth do you even USE?

Time to make and upload some full quality DiVX movies.
    You love my sig.

When I had 3,000GB of it, I was saying the same thing. Ii actually said it to someone earlier today. Webhosts need to focus on service rather than just cramming in more space. Just like processors need better architecture, and not just more cores. I don't see how I'd ever need this much, but I'm happy with it.

They're basically telling you that you have unlimited (or unmetered bandwidth). I HIGHLY doubt that any of their clients are using more than what they are alotted. The thing is, they're still setting somewhat of a cap because in the hosting world, if you say that your packages are unmetered or unlimited, you won't sell anything. (trust me on this)

Daje,

Hostmonster?

I'm using about 10% of my (300Gig) space on there and more than half of that is archives, backups or WIP.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    They're basically telling you that you have unlimited (or unmetered bandwidth). I HIGHLY doubt that any of their clients are using more than what they are alotted. The thing is, they're still setting somewhat of a cap because in the hosting world, if you say that your packages are unmetered or unlimited, you won't sell anything. (trust me on this)
    that makes sense, and yet doesn't. wouldn't people want to have an unlimited account over limited even if it is capped at a ridiculous amount?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Unlimited means badly managed in the hosting world is my take on it. An unlimited host would be subject to problems from a few heavy load clients that all the other clients would be subsidising.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Daje,

Hostmonster?

I'm using about 10% of my (300Gig) space on there and more than half of that is archives, backups or WIP.

Matthew
    Powweb. I've been using them for years. When I first started out they offered like 1GB of space or something. They do have good service and are reliable, even though they are now offering insane amounts of everything. And I also like that they moved everything over to Massachusetts. So my actual server is based like an hour away from me ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Unlimited means badly managed in the hosting world is my take on it. An unlimited host would be subject to problems from a few heavy load clients that all the other clients would be subsidising.
    Exactly. The funny thing is though.. all of these hosts are doing what's called overselling. It's a very common practice. Basically, they're saying "you can have a terabyte of space" to all of their customers. Now, a very large web site will probably use a couple gigs of space. But, how many very large sites are they really hosting anyway? 95% of their customer base will be the simple user who will maybe use a few hundred megs of space. There's no way in he1L that your average user is going to eat up 1.5TB of space unless they're hosting movies or iso's, which will be (guess what) against the TOS.