Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which of these 4 Cards would be best?

Default Which of these 4 Cards would be best?

Which of these cards would be best for their price. The 8600GTS stands no chance but for the price, I thought it was worth looking at.

On the 3870 in here, I don't care the vendor as long as the price is similar. I just grabbed one for reference

My budget is around $300 or less and if you know of a better card, let me know.

Also, when the 9 Series nVidia comes out, do you think the prices will drop significantly?

The choices are:

8600GTS 512MB GDDR3

8800GT 256MB GDDR3

8800GTS 512MB GDDR3

Radeon 3870

I grabbed a link of NewEgg, are any of these any better? These

Thanks for all the help,
    Trace
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Default Re: Which of these 4 Cards would be best?

The 'best' one currently is the 8800 Ultra however if you're on a decent budget, the 8800GTS is actually very good.

I wouldn't recommend the 256MB 8800GT or the 8600GTS. The Radeon 3870 will beat both those cards fairly easily. If you want a 8800GT, get the 512MB version.

EDIT: The 9 series is due next month according to a few sources.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    The 'best' one currently is the 8800 Ultra however if you're on a decent budget, the 8800GTS is actually very good.

I wouldn't recommend the 256MB 8800GT or the 8600GTS. The Radeon 3870 will beat both those cards fairly easily. If you want a 8800GT, get the 512MB version.

EDIT: The 9 series is due next month according to a few sources.
    Agreed with the 8800GT. You get the best bang for your buck with this card. I also own it. It was a replacement to my 8600 GT.

My brother picked up his 3870 for $220 and I read a review that either the 8800GT(s) would beat it although it was very close. I love AMD/ATI and would get a card, but I want something that should fairly future proof my system. So either the 8800GT 512MB or the 8800GTX/Ultra?

Anybody have a link to one of those cards around $300, I could go more, if it's worth it.

Thanks for the help guys
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

Ok, I've been shopping some more. I can't afford an Ultra/GTX, but I have pulled some more links (just what you guy's wanted!) I've numbered them in the order that I was thinking I would buy. Which one of these do you like? Or another...?

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

I am going to bed, but will check this before I go to school tomorrow. I would say $350 is about the very highest my budget would allow until I get a job.
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

If you run vista, then the 3870 is more future proof as it provides Dx10.1 support, however if you can wait a bit, the NVidia 9xxx series will also have Dx10.1 support.

I would recommend:

Number 4

The extra $10 is for a reason (there is also a $20 mail rebate so you're spending approx. $300). EVGA have an upgrade program which would enable for you to upgrade your 8800GTS to something in the 9 series for a price. Spawn-Inc has more details about the step-up program.

EDIT: Here's a thread where he explains and links it - http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=12704
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I'd get an 8800GT 512MB (actually, I did ) or an 8800GTS 512MB. Both are great cards, hold their own against an 8800GTX, and are future-proof. And I've read that...

9600GT < 8800GT. So if you're saving for a 9xxx series, wait for 9800's.
    RIP Bucko

I would stay away from number 2. It only has a single slot colling solution which means its going to get as hot as the sun... My 8600 was reaching mid 80's celcious with its single slot cooler, that 8800 probly hits 90 or above.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    I would stay away from number 2. It only has a single slot colling solution which means its going to get as hot as the sun... My 8600 was reaching mid 80's celcious with its single slot cooler, that 8800 probly hits 90 or above.
    Actually, it doesn't. That's the card I have, and though I am in a cool basement right now, I've never had it go above 52C, and that's OC'ed to 715MHz core, and almost 2GHz memory.
    RIP Bucko

As I type this, I'm looking at reviews, and I see that the GT holds very well against the GTX Linky

Looking at This it looks like the 3870 gets beat by the 8800GTS In the first test and in the second it looks like even the 8800GTX is matched or beat by the POV 8800GTS

Even here it looks like the 3870 gets beat by the 8800GT.

So, I would have to say it's between This and a 8800GT (Anybody got a good link?)

Unless, a 3870 Stands a chance ( I realize it's cheaper) I think that's out. Give me a link if you have a good 3870.

Thanks for all the help guys

EDIT: Which is better, THIS, or This
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge