• linux

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows vs linux

Default windows vs linux

does anybody use linux?

i use xp and linux

Default Re: windows vs linux

i use both, for some reason the internet is faster when i boot linux. I like suse and fedora.

ATX Mental Case

I don't have Linux on this system but I have used it. It's a lot more stable, from my perspective, than windows is, and much fewer security holes.
    Thoughts become words, words become actions, actions become habits, habits become character, character becomes destiny...

Anodized

I use bolth I am geting ready to install Fedora on my external drive

I've always wanted to know what linux is? is it better than windows, what is it that a bunch of ppl has it?
    "I mod therefore I am"

linux is a free open source operating system, built on unix. Linux is very stable due to the fact there are virtually no viruses and spy/addware. It is often used for servers due to this reliabilty. People often use it at home to but it is not mainstream due to the fact companies do not produce programs for it. If you plan to use it, you need to know some basic c++ and comands( think like a DOS and Windows hybrid ). Many people also like due to the fact that it is extremely customizable, allowing them to use it however they want.
    Just like windows linux has different versions called distros, but since they are all made by different people, one that was made in 1998 suit you needs better than one made in 2004, it just does what the programmer wanted it to do. Some versions like gentoo are for hardcore linux users and fedora/red hat is for beginers. There are litteraly hundreds of linux distros out ther, some for servers, some for mini itx computers, some meant to run only with a usb flash drive, some to browse the internet, it all just depends what you need. Beware tho, some distros are all text base (meaning no desktop, similar to DOS).
    If you want to experiment with linux there are many versions of popular distros that can boot just from a cd. If you really like linux but cant part for windows, you can partition your hard drive so you can run both.

To get linux, goto my favorite site which is www.linuxiso.org , they have hundreds of distros. For beginers, i suggest fedora or suse and for the extreme user (one thats willing to spend hours installing it) i recomend gentoo.

edit: it seems linux iso has reduced there distros to about 100

ATX Mental Case

hmm, I recomed distrowatch.org (I think?) and for beginers ubuntu

Anodized

For audio engineering windows is the the only option (because i refuse to jump on the PowerMacG5 bandwagon). Windows is better for everyday average computing/gaming/surfing. Linux for the hardcore geek inside us.

Case Wizard

I use Linux a lot more than I do windows. That is just because I play games from time to time that I need windows. I am currently using Puppy Linux on my Laptop and Slackware 10.1 on my mailserver. I am also a *NiX programmer right now and Ex-*NiX admin so its only go along with my life style.

emochild626 explanation as to what Linux is wrong. If it was built on Unix it would be using Unix code and could not be GPL'ed or Open Source (and it would have a 699.oo per processor fee). It was design to work like Unix and but for the PC. (made because someone wanted something better then Windows)

sorry built around unix