Thread: Old School Inside

Default Old School Inside

Hey everybody, your old buddy Pimptimus Prime here with a new and exciting project. Well, to be honest, an old and exciting project. Let me explain.

Last week, I picked up what I was told were two old Pentium 2 servers from a guy on freecycle. I figured I could have some fun and screw around with them for a while, and maybe make my planned G.E.C.K. computer. After getting them home, along with a couple of old cases, I find that they are in fact Pentium 1 166's. At first, I was bummed. Then I started thinking. I would have killed to have a computer like this back when I was Junior High/High School. Needless to say, nostalgia kicked in and I decided to make the most Pimpin' system I could out of the available parts. Long story short, I stuffed all of one server into one of the (considerably smaller) cases, added the harddrive from the other, slapped 128mb of ram into it, tossed a 120mm and an 80mm fan into it, and overclocked it up to 198 mhz.

Now comes the casemod proper. My plan is to (only using the part and supplies I have on hand) smooth the whole case, paint it black, add some logos, and light it in some way. My plan for lighting is using old HDD activity and Power On leds I have laying around.

This is the faceplate.

I hand sanded all of the texture off, but I don't know how well you can tell.

Then I proceeded to do the same to the buttons, drive faceplates, andanything else faceplate related. Here are some before and after shots.

Before

After

Before

After

All sanded.

I don't think you can tell from the photos, so I will just come out and say, all parts are amazingly smooth.

Then I bondo'ed and sanded the little air holes at the bottom of the faceplate.

Sorry that I don't have any during photos but my trusty and able assistant, Whitey, wasn't here to help. Please tell me what you think or any ideas for the project.

Have A Good One.
    Leader of the Ghettobots.

Default Re: Old School Inside

Man I have an old 400mhz Pentium 2 or 1, I can't even install IE on it, I try and it over heats :p.

I always restrict airflow on my older systems so that the processor gets the most direct flow of air, mainly because not much else in an old system overheats. Old cases have a lot of venting and areas where your air pressure can escape. The cheap method for fixing that is, after you place your fans for optimal air flow over the processor, duct tape over all redundant or unnecessary vents and other areas of air escape.

On another note, I've just finished sanding the case panels, and am just about to start painting the base coat.

Dude...totally!

looks like a great case with lots of potential, cant wait to see what you do with it.

Hello again, just a quick update.

I rounded my SCSI cable, wrapped it in electrical tape, and stuffed it into black split loom. Here is a side by side comparison with an un-rounded cable.

I stuck all my power cables in split loom. (Except for the one I'm not using.)

Including my front case fan power cable.

And I was wrong about the size of my larger fan. I said it was 120mm and it's 90mm.

Also, since my primer coat is done, I would like your opinion on what the best "consumer level" flat black spray paint is.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited by Pimptimus_Prime; 09-19-2005 at 01:24 AM. Reason: I fixed a few typographical errors because I love you all.