Thread: Wow, another benefit of college

Default Wow, another benefit of college

There have some machine shops there. I checked one out today. It has absolutely every machine I would ever need! They even have a bunch of computer added machines that I could use to build stuff. Aside from that, they have the standards. Drill presses, lathes, everything. This is like, the dream place to be for people like us. Me being in my eningeering clss means I already have the lab fee coevered, and I can go there any time as long as there is a technician there. I should just take all of my materials down there on like Friday, and do a ton of work on my case design.

This is going to be great.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Wow, another benefit of college

My school (HS) has a CNC Lathe, a manaul lathe, a vertical mill, two drill presses, a bandsaw, a scrollsaw, some other stuff...

it's awesome. I mill almost every day. I want to get a tabletop mill and make my own case parts.

(I build robots with the school machines, ftw)

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

As part of my course, I had to do basic machining, it was a good exercise too!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I've never been to my highschool's shop. I should go check it out though. It's unlikely I'll be able to use any of it, since I'm not in any of those classes, but maybe I'll just go look...
    RIP Bucko

The last campus I was at had atleast 2 of everything, drill press, band saw, sanders, scroll saws, lathes, planers, welders. One for aluminum and one for wood. But I never got a chance to use them

You lucky beast DaJe, we had better see some kick arse stuff come out of there!

My school has a completely badass machine shop and i have 24/7 access. I'm trying to actually get a job there. I think we may even have a 3D printer.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

This makes me miss high school . We had a smaller but similar setup--one mill, a wood lathe, metal lathe, scroll saw, band saw, combo belt/radial sander, table saw, 2 or 3 drill presses, and my personal favs--welders. 4 arc (stick), 1 oxy-acetylene setup and a MiG welder. And a whole smattering of hand tools to boot.

If I were a high school senior; I know damn well what my advanced woodworking project would be--a case similar to Tale Gunner's.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

A few years ago my school got money for new machinery in both the Engineering and Woodwork rooms.
    So in the engineering room we have: a CNC lathe, 2 manual lathes, 2 pillar drills, scroll saw, horizontal+vertical bandsaws, mill, 2 arc welders, MIG, TIG, oxy-acet, spot welder, brazing hearth+air/gas torch, forge as well as every hand tool imaginable.

I cant be bothered listing all the stuff in the woodwork room but it has everything you could need.

And all of that in a school of 80 students

But next year I will be going to college in my local IT and they have an insane amount of machines down there.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.